View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Gnome 3.8 systemd and show applications blank Reply with quote

For the last 4 or 5 days I have been battling with the gnome 3.8 update. I've managed to get systemd running and everything works except search in overview mode and 'Show Applications'. The Show Applications overview screen has no icons, search shows a few documents but no applications - either 'favorites' or 'all'.

The odd thing is that if a select a kde or kde plasma from gdm with xsession in conf.d still set to gnome I get a mix of kde and gnome 3.8 where overview mode and search works correctly ....

I've done a lot of searching about no .desktop files showing up in overview without finding much relevant except some fedora folks having the same problem.

This install of gentoo has been upgaded since before gentoo 0.4 ( 2002?) through many hardware upgrades. Always ~x86 so I've been through many emerge problems over the years. Always fixable, but this one has me stumped.

I'm running ' default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop' profile.

Even getting back to a completly stock gnome 3.8 desktop would be fine ....

I'd apprciate any pointers on how to debug this and especially hearing from anyone with the same problem.

Thanks,

JohnY
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: no application icons and very few files in gnome3 overview Reply with quote

Still trying to solve no app icons in gnome 3.8 overview mode.

This looks like it may be a related error:

Code:
JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Mon Aug 05 2013 20:18:05 GMT-0400 (EDT)
Aug 05 20:18:06 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: ** Message: applet now embedded in the notification area
Aug 05 20:18:06 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: Error creating proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gtk.Private.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.
Aug 05 20:18:07 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
Aug 05 20:18:07 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: Window manager warning: Got a request to focus the no_focus_window with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!
Aug 05 20:18:09 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: JS LOG: Failed to add search provider /usr/share/gnome-shell/search-providers/nautilus-search-provider.ini: TypeError: appInfo is null
Aug 05 20:18:12 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: Window manager warning: Log level 8: gmenu_tree_get_root_directory: assertion `tree->loaded' failed
Aug 05 20:18:12 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: TypeError: root is null
Aug 05 20:18:12 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"root is null"'
Aug 05 20:18:12 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/appDisplay.js"'
Aug 05 20:18:12 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '479'
Aug 05 20:18:12 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/appDisplay.js:479
Aug 05 20:18:12 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: wrapper()@/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js:213
Aug 05 20:18:12 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: _runDeferredWork("2")@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:709
Aug 05 20:18:12 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: _runBeforeRedrawQueue()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:724
Aug 05 20:18:12 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: ()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:733

I haven't figured out how to fix this part yet:
Code:

Aug 05 20:18:09 /etc/gdm/Xsession[15366]: JS LOG: Failed to add search provider /usr/share/gnome-shell/search-providers/nautilus-search-provider.ini: TypeError: appInfo is null

And systemd is so interwoven in everthing it's hard to track down ......

JohnY
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this systemd related?
I don't wonder you get no feedback of this:
Plenty enough of systemd bashing nowadays in the forums ...

I am not a gnome user: Are there actual "--user" units in Gnome-3.8 ?
I know upstream talked about to split "startx" into systemd units - also Kde developers.

And Debian unstable just transforming to systemd: They changed the upstream path
/usr/lib/systemd -to- /lib/systemd
but Debian developers have forgotten /usr/lib/systemd/user{-generators} in the old place.
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's systemd or some subtle failure of the Gnome 3.8.4 install.

The funny thing is that if I start a kde plasma workspace session with Gome still in my xsession variable I get a mix of kde toolbar on the bottom of the screen and gnome bar on the top and Gnome application and file overview works perfectly. The system is able to cope with all the parts of both desktop environments. It's odd to see, but thats how I'm running while I try to debug. (Even dynamic workspaces show up properly in the kde bottom panel and the Gnome right panel .... who would have guessed).

BTW, there is an empty directory called user-generators in /usr/lib/systemd....

I've been booting Fedora 19 and Ubunto 12 live cd's to look at and poke around a working system.

It seems that almost no one else is seeing a blank Overview screen ...even the dock is empty except for the Show Applications button. It populates as I start apps from <ALT>F2 but I can't pin them to the dock and they usually don't show up in favorites in the overview.

It's strange ... I've recompiled most of the box, stripped all the gnome config dirs, and spent a lot of time @ bugs.gentoo.org looking for insight , but nothing so far. Thanks for the encouragement.
JohnY
mrpdaemon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's a profile specifically for gnome at

/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/<ARCH>/13.0/desktop/gnome

I'm guessing since you're running KDE as well you don't want to switch to this profile. However it might be useful for you to check what USE flags are present in this profile that aren't present in the desktop profile and enable them as well.

Another thing to try, what happens when you log on with a new user, ie. with a clean home directory? Upgrades of GNOME aren't always very smooth, so cleaning up any left over config and starting over might be necessary.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empty applications menu? Make sure $XDG_MENU_PREFIX is properly set when you are in the desktop, from a X11 Terminal, shell as a user like for example,

Code:

$ echo $XDG_MENU_PREFIX
gnome-

If $XDG_MENU_PREFIX is empty, then the desktop was started in a wrong way because it's the desktops own startup files that set it when required.
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo!!

Code:
$ echo $XDG_MENU_PREFIX
gnome-

That did it, thank you.

If I set $XDG_MENU_PREFIX in ~/.xinitrc, gnome Overview comes up properly, in all its glory ;) when starting with startx. It must be set elsewhere when using gdm, because Overview is still empty when gnome is selected from there.

Is XDG_MENU_PREFIX supposed to be set in env.d ??

When bringing up my kde-plasma/gnome hybrid env XDG_MENU_PREFIX is set to KDE-4- and overview also works...

I also found out that quite a few packages USE flags are set differently for gnome packages when the 'default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop/gnome' profile is selected instead of 'default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop' with gnome and kde set in make.conf.

On my system:
Code:
# emerge -uDN world -p

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] net-misc/curl-7.31.0  CURL_SSL="nss* -openssl*"
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/pycurl-7.19.0-r3  CURL_SSL="nss* -openssl*"
[ebuild   R    ] x11-libs/gtk+-3.8.2  USE="colord*"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2  USE="gnome-keyring*"
[ebuild   R    ] dev-vcs/git-1.8.3.2  USE="gnome-keyring*"
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/gnome-keyring-python-2.32.0  USE="-examples"
[ebuild   R    ] net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.0.4  USE="libsecret*"
[ebuild   R    ] net-libs/libsocialweb-0.25.21  USE="vala*"
[ebuild   R    ] net-im/telepathy-mission-control-5.14.1  USE="gnome-keyring*"
[ebuild   R    ] app-admin/system-config-printer-gnome-1.3.12  USE="gnome-keyring*"
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/libgdu-3.0.2  USE="gnome-keyring*"
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-extra/libgda-5.1.2  USE="libsecret*"
[ebuild   R    ] net-misc/vino-3.8.1  USE="gnome-keyring*"
[ebuild   R    ] net-misc/remmina-1.0.0_p20130723  USE="gnome-keyring*"
[ebuild   R    ] net-nntp/pan-0.139  USE="gnome-keyring*"
[ebuild   R    ] net-libs/libproxy-0.4.11-r1  USE="python*"
[ebuild   R    ] dev-vcs/subversion-1.7.11  USE="gnome-keyring*"
[ebuild   R    ] app-text/evince-3.8.3  USE="gnome-keyring* nautilus*"
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/totem-3.8.2-r1  USE="nautilus*"
[ebuild   R    ] app-arch/file-roller-3.8.3  USE="nautilus*"
[ebuild     U  ] dev-libs/folks-0.9.3 [0.9.2] USE="socialweb*"
[ebuild   R    ] app-mobilephone/obexd-0.46  USE="eds*"
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-panel-3.6.2-r1  USE="eds*"
[ebuild   R    ] net-im/empathy-3.8.3  USE="gnome-online-accounts*"
[ebuild   R    ] app-misc/tracker-0.16.2  USE="libsecret* nautilus*"
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/nautilus-tracker-tags-0.16.2
[ebuild   R    ] app-cdr/brasero-3.8.0  USE="nautilus*"
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.16.3  USE="gnome-online-accounts*"

when I switched to 'default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop/gnome' instead of just plain /desktop

Again thanks for the help ... that was a rough way to learn about systemd

JohnY
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like $XDG_MENU_PREFIX is supposed to be set in gnome-session:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/1191290

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-session/tree/gnome-session/main.c?id=3.8.2.1#n360

Code:

/* Some third-party programs rely on GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID to
* detect if GNOME is running. We keep this for compatibility reasons.
*/
       gsm_util_setenv ("GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID", "this-is-deprecated");

/* We want to use the GNOME menus which has the designed categories.
*/
        gsm_util_setenv ("XDG_MENU_PREFIX", "gnome-");

It's not happening for me when I choose 'Gnome' from gdm's session list.but it works fine set in .xintrc using startx.

Still investigating ...

JohnY
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like $XDG_MENU_PREFIX is supposed to be set not just in but by gnome-session. Looking at the source code for gnome-session-3.8.4, in main.c that's what should happen, but at least in my case doesn't.

The problem is that $XDG_MENU_PREFIX has to be set after gnome has been chosen from the gdm session list but before gnome 3.8 starts. If $XDG_MENU_PREFIX is set and exported after gnome startup, Overview is still blank (and no menu appears). So I found where KDE-4 sets its $XDG_MENU_PREFIX and set it like it is in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/11-xdg-menu-kde-4

Code:

11-xdg-menu-kde-4

#!/bin/sh

if [ -z "${XDG_MENU_PREFIX}" ] && [ "${DESKTOP_SESSION}" = "KDE-4" ]; then
   export XDG_MENU_PREFIX="kde-4-"
fi

I created a file called 12-xdg-menu-gnome
Code:

#!/bin/sh

if [ -z "${XDG_MENU_PREFIX}" ] && [ "${XSESSION}" = "Gnome" ]; then
   export XDG_MENU_PREFIX="gnome-"
fi

It's a work around but it's not too ugly and until gnome-session gets straightened out, it works for me, and lets me use gdm instead of just startx and still get a populated Overview mode.

JohnY
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: