[Solved] gst-plugins-base-0.10.36 configure options
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soul Reaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: [Solved] gst-plugins-base-0.10.36 configure options Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
first of all I've to admit that I'm new to Gentoo so please bear with me. :wink:

I'm trying to use gstreamer 0.1 for video playback as it works much smoother than 1.0 for some reason.
The problem I'm facing is that Portage configures the plugins in a strange manner so that some features are missing.

Most evidently, I don't have any subtitle rendering with 0.1 while 1.0 works perfectly.
This is because pango support gets disabled by Portage for some reason.

emerge =gst-plugins-base-0.10.36
Code:

./configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --disable-silent-rules --disable-dependency-tracking --with-package-name=Gentoo GStreamer ebuild --with-package-origin=http://www.gentoo.org --disable-zlib --disable-x --disable-xvideo --disable-xshm --disable-gst_v4l --disable-alsa --disable-cdparanoia --disable-gnome_vfs --disable-ivorbis --disable-gio --disable-libvisual --disable-ogg --disable-pango --disable-theora --disable-vorbis --enable-orc --disable-maintainer-mode --enable-nls --enable-introspection --enable-nls --enable-orc --disable-examples --disable-debug --disable-static

As you can see Portage adds --disable-pango (among others) to configure.

Yet when I tried configuring gst-plugins-base manually:

./configure
Code:

configure: *** Plug-ins without external dependencies that will be built:
   adder
   app
   audioconvert
   audiorate
   audioresample
   audiotestsrc
   encoding
   ffmpegcolorspace
   gdp
   playback
   subparse
   tcp
   typefind
   videorate
   videoscale
   videotestsrc
   volume

configure: *** Plug-ins without external dependencies that will NOT be built:

configure: *** Plug-ins with dependencies that will be built:
   alsa
   gio
   ogg
   pango
   vorbis
   ximagesink
   xvimagesink

configure: *** Plug-ins with dependencies that will NOT be built:
   cdparanoia
   gnomevfs
   ivorbisdec
   libvisual
   theora
   video4linux

configure: *** Orc acceleration enabled.

Everything I need is enabled here and also compiles without any issues.
As a temporary fix I just copied the manually compiled libgstpango.so to /usr/lib64/gstreamer-0.10 which solved the subtitle problem.

However I'm still confused as I don't get at all why Portage insists on disabling all those nice features even though all dependencies are installed.
I tried analyzing the *.eclass that is responsible for adding all those --disable-* options but I couldn't figure out how the dependencies are checked against.

So, if anyone knows how to properly fix this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Soul Reaver on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pango plugins are in gst-plugins-pango for 0.10. GStreamer packaging uses split packages for the ext/ and sys/ plugins, or put otherwise, each external dependency using plugin is a separate package instead of a USE flag, as is more natural.
In gstreamer-1.0+ packaging this is toned down a bit, and very common plugins that depend on very common dependencies you are likely to already have anyway, are not split, but either always enabled in the main package, or behind a USE flag (which is often default enabled in the package or via desktop profiles).
So for 1.0 or 1.2 you got pango needing plugins from the main package, while for 0.10 you simply install gst-plugins-pango for this.
Soul Reaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my,
thank you very much for explaining this.

I browsed Portage at least three times for gstreamer related packages but still didn't notice this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: