How to install Gentoo ONLY Mid-2012 macbook air
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grobth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: How to install Gentoo ONLY Mid-2012 macbook air Reply with quote

I need to know the optimal procedure for deleting OSX and installing gentoo using the EFI stub kernel so I don't need to install a separate boot loader. I'm not sure what method I need to use to install gentoo. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id combine
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Gentoo_Quick_Install_Guide

and

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
grobth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell me how I can actually boot into the live cd so I can use those?
grobth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nvm. Figured it out.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You *might* be interested in The iDroid Project for inspiration. ;)
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Gentoo ONLY Mid-2012 macbook air Reply with quote

grobth wrote:
I need to know the optimal procedure for deleting OSX and installing gentoo using the EFI stub kernel so I don't need to install a separate boot loader. I'm not sure what method I need to use to install gentoo. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I recommend against trying to use the EFI stub loader directly in this way, especially on a Mac. Although it can be done, it will limit your options greatly in terms of installing multiple kernels or modifying kernel options at boot time, both of which can be critical when dealing with recovery situations. The biggest problem is that the EFI provides limited options for passing parameters to the boot loader, so you'll need to embed your options in the kernel itself, where they can't be easily changed.

That said, the EFI stub loader itself is perfectly OK; I just recommend that you use it in conjunction with rEFInd, gummiboot, or some other boot manager.

OTOH, one of the problems with Macs is that their EFI is non-standard. You may need to use the "bless" utility to adjust the boot loader configuration. This tool ships with OS X, but there's a limited port to Linux. In Fedora, it's in a package called "macutils" or something similar, IIRC. I don't know if it's available in a Gentoo package. Alternatively, some Macs will boot the EFI boot loader that has the fallback filename (EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi on the ESP).

Because of these problems, a Linux-only install on a Mac generally goes easier if you treat the computer as if it were a BIOS-only system: Create a Master Boot Record (MBR) partition table and install with a BIOS-mode boot loader. (Unfortunately, using either MBR or a hybrid MBR is required to activate the Mac's CSM, which is needed to boot in BIOS mode.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: