Linux server what distro for old hardwere
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suami777
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Linux server what distro for old hardwere Reply with quote

Hello, i've got old pc and wanna make www + email server on it, got there Celeron 2Ghz + 1GB DIM RAM, what distro i can use for server ? i dont want to take gentoo becouse compile will take a really long.
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Debian or Ubuntu Server to be quite nice for setting up a server.

I also have a couple Arch servers in my house, but I try to not touch them after they're set up out of fear that one upgrade will break everything.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux server what distro for old hardwere Reply with quote

Suami777 wrote:
Hello, i've got old pc and wanna make www + email server on it, got there Celeron 2Ghz + 1GB DIM RAM, what distro i can use for server ? i dont want to take gentoo because compile will take a really long.
Why would a compile take too long? All you're compiling is the kernel, base stuff, apache, sendmail and php. It's a few hours at most. A decade ago you could do a whole system, Gnome, X, Apache and openoffice in an overnight compile.

I also wouldn't go for anything full-featured because of the nature of the hardware. go for a *box (fluxbox, openbox, fvwm) based distro if you have to or do it through Gentoo

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Suami777
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i think about Red hat, its possible to download it for free without support ?

i wanna try something else then gentoo :)
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suami777 wrote:
Well i think about Red hat, its possible to download it for free without support ?

i wanna try something else then gentoo :)
No, Red Hat is not free but there is an identical product called CentOS

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo :lol: arch, centos, ubuntu, opensuse, mint, or... don't even bother if you just want www/email. its probably cheaper to pay for an ultra low end ( or even free tier ) VPS... given your hardware.

also running a personal email server is basically a non-starter in 2013. google starting blocking emails from and to servers that reside on DHCP address ranges. and they have been, in my experience, the most lenient email relay. everyone else has been using generic IP based blacklists for years. so basically no one will be able to email you and you won't be able to email anyone.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want gentoo, then I'd say Arch. Depends on how much tweaking you want to do.

And you don't need any "*box" on there; it's a server. No need for X, a window manager, and that crap. It's just overhead you don't need, it's more potential security vulnerabilities, and it's more stuff to compile.

Ubuntu server is another decent choice if you don't want to get into the details. They used to offer one with a LAMP stack already set up.

Another good choice for an internet-facing server would be OpenBSD (and it comes, or at least used to, with sendmail already set up).
smartass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: right behind you ... (you did turn around, didn't you?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation with an even slower and older computer (Intel Pentium M 1.50GHz, 1GB RAM). And I chose Gentoo, because I can filter out any dependencies I don't need making it more minimal and a bit faster then in any other distro.

Compiling isn't that bad at all, it's desktop apps that usually take very long to compile, but I don't need those on a server, apache takes just 7 minutes to compile, cups 8 minutes, samba 27 minutes.

Plus, I find the Gentoo way of managing the system very intuitive in comparison to other distros.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: