No Graphics Acceleration Intel HD 4000
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel4230877
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: No Graphics Acceleration Intel HD 4000 Reply with quote

No matter what I try, I cannot seem to get graphics acceleration on my Lenovo Thinkpad W530 with an Intel HD 4000 chipset. I've tried making a custom xorg.conf and adding myself to the video group. Nothing works. Acceleration works as root. GLXGears gets like 4 FPS for my user, and gets a normal amount for root.
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try without an xorg.conf? What does it do without one?
My HD4000 works fine without it...

I don't know about what happened with legacy parameters but if running without an xorg.conf doesn't work, what's the permissions and owner/group on /dev/dri/card0, and does chmodding it help after starting X... if it does

this "may" help (it's deprecated as I do not need this on my system /etc/X11/xorg.conf - I don't even have an xorg.conf ...)

Code:
Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
EndSection

daniel4230877
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Did you try without an xorg.conf? What does it do without one?
My HD4000 works fine without it...

I don't know about what happened with legacy parameters but if running without an xorg.conf doesn't work, what's the permissions and owner/group on /dev/dri/card0, and does chmodding it help after starting X... if it does

this "may" help (it's deprecated as I do not need this on my system /etc/X11/xorg.conf - I don't even have an xorg.conf ...)

Code:
Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
EndSection

Booting without an xorg.conf allows me to use my desktop, but without acceleration. However glxinfo says direct rendering: Yes. I'm not sure. But KWin will not switch to OpenGL, so I cannot use effects such as wobbly windows. Maybe it is only a KWin issue? Also /dev/dri/card0 doesn't exist o.o
daniel4230877
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to do a complete rebuild of my system. I will post results tomorrow.
daniel4230877
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did not work either. Same results.
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pastebin/pastespace/... your /var/log/Xorg.0.log when running without a xorg.conf or post your xorg.conf...
daniel4230877
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
pastebin/pastespace/... your /var/log/Xorg.0.log when running without a xorg.conf or post your xorg.conf...

Actually what I did to fix the issue was compile a custom kernel rather than use Genkernel. Now I have full hw acceleration, KWin works correctly with OpenGL, and GLXgears shows a normal FPS now. Thanks for helping though!
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's good that you got it fixed, but I will have to call this an unsolved mystery for people who find this thread via search... :(

If there is a real correlation it would have to have nothing to do with drivers, but rather with a strange configuration with permissions... and this would be rather hard to do...
daniel4230877
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Well, it's good that you got it fixed, but I will have to call this an unsolved mystery for people who find this thread via search... :(

If there is a real correlation it would have to have nothing to do with drivers, but rather with a strange configuration with permissions... and this would be rather hard to do...

All the advice I can offer is if Genkernel doesn't work right try a custom kernel. That's all I did and it worked perfectly.
Princess Nell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, the required options are enabled in the genkernel configuration (cf. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel), but, and this can make a big difference, as modules. Without initramfs, you are better off to build a custom kernel with those options builtin, as shown in the wiki.

Once I got the kernel options right, this T530 started working pretty well under Gentoo,
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I think the default options in genkernel should work, else I'd hear a lot more issues about this. I can't think of anything short of perhaps virtualization or control group/ACL options that could affect unprivileged users from accessing DRI.

Hence this remains a mystery until someone figures out the exact option that lightswitches this problem. Sigh... curiosity... since I do have several Intel graphics machines, and all just work fine - no root needed, none of my DRI installs (ATI, Matrox, and others) on any of my computers were rootcaused to kernel options that prohibited a regular user from accessing it ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: