Dispatch-conf
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-TZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Dispatch-conf Reply with quote

Hi fellow gentoo-ers,

I'm not sure if this is an installation question but it's happening while installing so... I'm wondering how I can automate the --autounmask-write and dispatch-conf parts of a gentoo installation. I recently started using Gentoo again (about a month and a half) and because I was installing it on kind of an unusual laptop I thought these semi-automatic unmask questions were something non-standard.

I'm kind of on a schedule some of the time so I use one of my company's server at home as a gateway to other computers here and on one of them I'm installing Gentoo.

I use screen so I can detach and reattach consoles. I entered some of the last parts of the installation and detached:

During a standard installation (nothing fancy, just the default build package and some standard useflags
Quote:
mmx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4 sse4a sse4_1 -gtk -gnome qt4 kde dvd alsa cdr udev policykit java lm_sensors pulseaudio zeroconf samba networkmanager json gcrypt ssh1 jpeg2k jpeg png jpg gif ieee1394 rdesktop vnc v4l libv4l v4l2 ffmpeg libmpeg2 eap-sim fbcondecor opengl rar

Code:
emerge syslog-ng && rc-update add syslog-ng default && emerge vixie-cron && rc-update add vixie-cron default && emerge mlocate && rc-update add sshd default && emerge dhcpcd && emerge grub && emerge grub:2 && emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse world && emerge --depclean

Now after 6 hours I come home to find that I have to TWICE do an --autounmask-write and dispatch-conf. They should call it --semiautounmask-write. You still have to validate the changes you've allready vouched for by using that command. It kinda reminds me of the annoying windows 3.11 message whether I was really sure if I wanted to delete that file after I've allready put it in the wastebin but worse because there are 3 steps instead of 2:

1. emerge package --autounmask-write
2. dispatch-conf
3. (again) emerge package

The worst thing is... I've just found out that " emerge [ something ] --autounmask-write && dispatch-conf " doesn't work.

This is far to clumsy and time consuming...

How do I tell portage that everything I emerge with --autounmask-write is automatically accepted? I'm smart enough to know what not to combine... The packages I'm installing should (on first sight) not fight with each other. It's not like I'm combining eudev with udev.

Second question (hopefully unrelated to the first), I get this message:

Quote:
* Error: circular dependencies:

(virtual/jdk-1.6.0-r2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) depends on
(dev-java/icedtea-bin-6.1.12.6::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (runtime)
(net-print/cups-1.6.2-r5::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (runtime)
(virtual/jre-1.6.0-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (buildtime)
(virtual/jdk-1.6.0-r2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (runtime)

It might be possible to break this cycle
by applying any of the following changes:
- dev-java/icedtea-bin-6.1.12.6 (Change USE: -cups)
- net-print/cups-1.6.2-r5 (Change USE: -java)

How do I tell portage that, when it encounters a "circular" dependency (they're not really circular), as soon as it does, it has to first emerge the buildtime packages it requires (obviously) where after it has to build the runtime and then the according main package? Has anyone ever thought about this??

Because of course it's a bit silly to use a package management system that... doesn't really handle the packages. It could decide on it's own either to disable cups on the first run of emerge and then enable it on the second (somehow it seems to need "two" runs, lets call them part a of this emerge and part b), or the other way around (disable java, reinable it in part b) and of course then checks that it doesn't re-emerge unnecessary packages. Gentoo is a source based distro. I'm not expecting things to be done in five minutes but I don't like the feeling that I need to hold it's hand with every simple issue it encounters and I don't like it holding my hand when I emerge stuff. There's got to be a smarter way right?

Thanks for the help in advance :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: