View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_i_am
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another long time Kmail user here (since 2003). I was also getting increasingly frustrated at the Akonadi/Semantic desktop crap being showed down my throat. About two months ago, when Kmail broke after an update (again), I gave up and went with Thunderbird. It's not as nice, but life is now a lot easier.
hasues
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Same experience Reply with quote

I had used K-Mail since early 2000's as well. Took the same steps and have used Thunderbird for a few years since KDE was forcing me to using akonadi and similar. I dropped amarok at that time as well, and luckily I found Clementine which is based off the amarok I did like.
gigel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CkoTuHa wrote:

Again, to sum it up, it(kmail) works - it's a fact. If your instance doesn't work - look into the mirror, mind the gap, install ubuntu for average sixpack and get lucky.

yes, kmail works, i completely agree with you. and this doesn't apply to the crappy kmail2, which is a piece of rubbish unusable software.
i'm still using kmail 1 with kde 4.10 and see no reason to upgrade to anything else. it just works.
vokiel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to move off of it myself as well and I'm a well versed developer enough to know that this software is a gigantic turd.

In fact, you don't need to be one, the thing just doesn't work without high maintenance that's it. Anyone can see that.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others here, after over a decade of using KMail, I finally gave up trying to make KMail2 + akonadi + redland + virtuoso + .. work and switched to mutt (the link explains how to replicate your KMail setup with mutt.)

I used to use pine, so mutt feels fine: and it's so quick! I love that email is a lightweight thing again, and I can start multiple instances from yakuake with no trouble at all. I recommend the qdbm backend, and as others have pointed out notmuch integration gives you very quick indexing if you have tonnes of mail. I haven't needed it yet, myself.

I still can't believe people are installing a production MySQL database server along with all that other bloat, on a laptop or desktop. The most I'd do if I wanted my files indexed is use slocate, or w/e the latest version is called. But I don't, I just know that's what serious admins like Griz use. This stuff is totally off-wack, but good luck to you however you choose to your machine.

You can also get rid of all the nubkit stuff; ironically I find the KDM login works much better without polkit. And there is ongoing work to re-enable semantic-desktop USE-flag in Gentoo KDE itself (creaker's post.) The only hold-out (which there is a patch for) is konversation linking to kdepim-libs for "addressbook integration" (just what you want from an IRC client..;)

I agree with mark_g that "Disabling it at runtime is ridiculously not-gentoo."
MMMMM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: How do I keep Kmail1 Reply with quote

Since some days emerge wants to force using kmail2 and breaks my kde system. How do I keep kmail1?
gigel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I keep Kmail1 Reply with quote

MMMMM wrote:
Since some days emerge wants to force using kmail2 and breaks my kde system. How do I keep kmail1?

i tried to keep kmail1 on my system as much as possible but after a while it became a pain in the a$$.
i decided to migrate to the new kmail2+akonadi rubbish and i've been disappointed ever since. messed e-mails, f*cked up databases, akonadi failing to start, and so on.
i'm sick and tired of updating stuff. i just want things to work. it seems to me that kmail2 develop software for masochistic people. it's f*cking sad.
not even microsoft apps perform as bad as kmail2+akonadi+nepomuk+bulsshit. :evil: :evil: :evil:
MMMMM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to keep kmail1 because I need a mail app. It is a real pain. Working since 2 days to fix the update system.
gigel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMMM wrote:
I'm trying to keep kmail1 because I need a mail app. It is a real pain. Working since 2 days to fix the update system.

i know what you mean. i tried to do the same thing some time ago. trust me my friend, the sooner you move to a different e-mail app the better. i migrated to kmail2, and my mails were fucked up several times (even as we speak now).
i'm tired of debugging this. it makes no sense.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three years ago, after many trouble-free years with kmail1 my kmail2 solution was Thunderbird. Works perfectly, every time, on windowsXP, win7, or any linux distro, 32 bit or 64bit.

If I want to copy over ALL my huge email archive to a new installation of any linux distro or windows, after installing Thunderbird (but not opening it yet) I just replace the default profile folder's content on the new install with my current T'bird (linux or windows) profile folder's content (about 4 folders and 39 files), and then start T'bird. It then opens up with everything exactly like the original profile, functioning normally.

If you'd rather, you could just keep the new install's default profile folder as is, and copy over your entire current xxxxxxxx folder in one swoop, and edit the .thunderbird/.profiles.init file Path= line to what is now the new xxxxxxxx default profile for the new installation. I've done this many times, and so far it hasn't failed me, no matter what linux or windows version I'm going between. Of course there's always a first time............ :roll:
However it's sure nice to know I can just simply backup the profile folder, and never lose any more emails, and have trouble-free restore functionality. Obviously, I've become a big Thunderbird email fan.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: