Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Laptop brightness doesn't change in kde SOLVED!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Laptop brightness doesn't change in kde SOLVED! Reply with quote

I'm running gentoo unstable and the masked nvidia-drivers and recently, the brightness controls stopped working.
It seem to me that it happened when I upgraded to gentoo-sources-3.10, but I've used my old kernel and it doesn't work now either. (so that could be wrong)
The keyboard brightness controls work just fine in the console, but not in kde (x), I don't know about other Desktop Environments because all I have installed is kde. In kde, when I press the controls or use the soft screen control, the onscreen display says the brightness is changing, but there is no change in brightness...
I'm running a lenovo t61 laptop, and the controls have always worked just fine.
Right now I'm rather confused, when I search for the problem, I find a lot about adding the acpi_osi=linux or something similar, but that hasn't helped, but I guess I haven't explored all the windows options on that...
Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks in Advance,
cctsurf

Last edited by cctsurf on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found some info on it:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/539462/linux/-nvidia-319-12-brightness-controls-not-working-on-laptop-ubuntu-13-03-/
Seems it's a break within the nvidia-drivers code at least at that point, suprisingly, I wasn't affected until just recently (325.08)...
Any Ideas are still helpful...I suppose I could go back a few versions of nvidia-drivers...but I don't like to.
Thanks
cctsurf
cctsurf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Laptop brightness doesn't change in kde SOLVED! Reply with quote

Simple fix:
add the following to the xorg.conf
Code:
    Option         "RegistryDwords"             "EnableBrightnessControl=1"

now it works!
Thanks
cctsurf
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: