View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: [Solved] KDE no longer sees usb or cdrom Reply with quote

Hi,

Just updated to kde 4.10.4, and I noticed that my neither my device notifier, dolphin, or any other part of kde acknowledges USB drives or my cdrom.

I removed my .kde4 directory to wipe all preferences to see if that would help, but of course it didn't. I couldn't find it in the system settings... so I'm not sure what is going on here.

I can mount my cdrom and usb drives just fine on the command line, but for whatever reason, kde no longer sees them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

G

Last edited by grooveman on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vorlon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem when dbus is not running.

Try "/etc/init.d/dbus start".

It also may be a problem wtih udev, which allows the system to recognize hardware events. udev always confused me, so I can't help you diagnose that (sorry).
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks, but dbus is definitely running. I found that the problem has to do with udisks and this file: /lib64/libudev.so.1. I don't think it has anything do with KDE.

In an attempt to get around this problem I did this:
Code:
ln -s /lib64/libudev.so.1 libudev.so.0

(this was in the /lib64 dir)

Now the errors have gone away, but I haven't been able to reboot my system to check if it works now because I'm remoted into to many boxes the past couple days. Hopefully later today I will find out if it fixed it, and post back. My only question is: Why didn't the library update itself appropriately? I shouldn't need to make a link. I don't know if this is a bug in portage, or what. My system is consistent...

Will follow up either way...

-G
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you've failed to run revdep-rebuild (or that other - in-portage - option).
Though now, obviously, due to that link, revdep-rebuild will fail to discover this particular problem again (unless you run it with '-L libudev.so.0').
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Seems you've failed to run revdep-rebuild (or that other - in-portage - option).
Though now, obviously, due to that link, revdep-rebuild will fail to discover this particular problem again (unless you run it with '-L libudev.so.0').

I ran revdep-rebuild several times -- each time saying it was 100% consistent. I also ran 'emerge @preserved-rebuild', which also drew in no new packages. Which is why I was saying this was odd... It seems like that should have fixed it.
Jack Hair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also had this problem when I didn't have "ConsoleKit" running.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on occasions, revdep-rebuild needs to be run as root to detect some of the issues.
Though perhaps your version of gentoolkit was a little bit too much out of date (I do seem to recall that around the time libudev got that library version bump, there was a gentoolkit version that failed to detect a problem with one of the low level libraries - not sure if that was libudev though).
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Was able to reboot, and I can confirm that my work-around works. I'd rather that revdep-rebuild caught that... but at least it is working.

Thanks for your input, and have a good one everyone!

-G
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: