[SOLVED] Media playback choppy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Hair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Media playback choppy Reply with quote

Hi,

My next problem is media playback. When I watch video content on internet with any browser it's constantly stopping and going again. When I play media with dragon player or VLC it's the same, although less with VLC and google-chrome. With internet content with chrome its choppy on all sites but Youtube. I've only found another topic on here which is very old and didnt contain a solution for me.
I first thought it was the radeon driver, so switched to fglrx, but it's the same. I turned v-sync on/off, added Option "AccelMethod" "XXA" to xorg.conf (found this via google also in old topics). Turned off desktop effects. But this didn't help. I don't know what is causing this, but it's very annoying. I use my PC for media a lot, so it's a real pain. I never had this problem on other distro's with the same hardware.

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.8GHz (OC isn't the problem, been stable for a loooong time)
8 GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD5850 using fglrx.
I'm on Gentoo 64-bit kernel-3.8.13 with KDE and using the latest available flash.

Edit:
Turns out Gentoo doesn't like the conservative CPU governor, I've tried ondemand and now my media is smooth. I only don't understand why I don't have this problem on other distro's with conservative.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: