View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: urxvt not updating line wrap on resize? Reply with quote

Wow...I swear this is something that has worked forever for me and doesn't now...no idea when it changed:

I'm using urxvt (rxvt-unicode) with fluxbox. If something outputs text longer than the width of the terminal, causing line wraps, resizing the window doesn't update the line wrap. I don't think my version of urxvt has changed in a very long time. Also, I just tried this on my mythtv frontend which is currently using xterm and that doesn't update the line wrap on resize either.

I'm not sure when this stopped working. Even stranger, from this same machine earlier when I noticed this, I ssh'ed to my mythfrontend and tried while in there, and it did in fact update the line wrapping when I increased the terminal size...now I can't even reproduce that. Don't even ask what that's about.

Can anyone confirm that that is in fact supposed to work?...and does anyone have any idea what may have made that stop working...it's insanely annoying.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is seriously strange. At this very moment, I have a urxvt terminal open that is in fact properly updating the line wrapping on resize...yet any other that I open does not...so whatever this is it's NOT consistent. It seems as though there's some event that's maybe getting dropped under some specific set of circumstances(??). Very strange.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh FFS...I just figured out exactly what makes this either work, or not work...though I have no idea specifically why:

If any output in the terminal window has scrolled out of the visible window, the line wrap suddenly starts updating properly on resize of the window. Until that's occurs, it doesn't work. As a result I thought it might be related to the scrollbar, but it behaves the same way with the scrollbar totally disabled.

So if I do anything that scrolls out of view...even just holdng the enter key down, everything works fine. While that doesn't totally answer the question, at least I now know it's not just random as it appeared.

When I get a chance maybe I'll report it upstream, but those folks have always had a big problem with Gentoo for whatever reason.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: