Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bircoph wrote:
toralf wrote:
Just FWIW Peter Hurley from stable kernel ML pointed me to your thread at the LKML - I'm suffering from a s2disk issue too - its erratic here, seems to be already in 3.10 itself and not just in 3.10.x and it is annoying - still investigating here at my ThinkPad T420.

Do you have the same trouble with resume or something else? Also please note that bug I'm suffering from appeared in 3.7_rc1. And take a look on this related bug: http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg38160.html Maybe proposed solution will help you.

Anyway its good to hear that bug is noticed on LKML.
I read that and tried all those mentioned commit to revert on top of 3.10.7 - no success. My current attempt to bisect it between 3.9 and 3.10 was not very successful. As an upper limit I'm now at commit 7da052b. That's why I'm wondering if it could be a long standing hidden bug/feature in the kernel and just triggered by a user space tool change here in Gentoo land. But I do use a straight vanilla kernel and suspend just via self-scripted "echo 1 > /sys/power/state" so not very likely, or ?
And I used s2disk w/o any problems in 3.8.x and 3.9.x AFAICR. What makes bisecting worse it that I need to check every commit 3 times and more to trust "git bisect good".
[/b]

Last edited by toralf on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using an old linux-headers with a new kernel deprives you of features, but is safe. Using a new linux-headers with an old kernel should work, but as you say, it sometimes exposes bugs. However, my point was that you have all these risks even if you use the Gentoo-provided kernel ebuilds, because nothing ensures that you will actually build and boot a kernel even once the Gentoo kernel team marks it as stable. It is always the responsibility of the system administrator to keep the running kernel current, regardless of how the sources for that kernel are obtained.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that my issue is linux header related. Currently I'm convinced, that the issue is related somehow to to X11. BTW I stopped bisecting in favour of looking into user space tools.

Currently I'm arguing about the xorg server and MESA.
Bircoph
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

after two weeks of silence on LKML I checked that it is still an issuet with 3.11-rc7/3.10.9, bumped mail list thread and created a kernel bug 60802. I hope this will attract some attention.

toralf: Have you fixed your problem?
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bircoph wrote:
Hello,

after two weeks of silence on LKML I checked that it is still an issuet with 3.11-rc7/3.10.9, bumped mail list thread and created a kernel bug 60802. I hope this will attract some attention.

toralf: Have you fixed your problem?
no - unfortunately not.
And just applying your patch (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=107331&action=diff) doesn't solved it. The behaviour was however marginally "better" - after wakeup the keyboard commands were at least echoed on the command line - but not executed. The system just hang at the same point.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But fwiw 3.11-rc7+ works fine - I'll switch to it from 3.10.x soon I think.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You did so much work and nobody responded anywhere. Shows the state of power management in Linux...:)

Anyway, I am running into the same issue in 3.12.4. I have configured pm-utils to use 'kernel' instead of s2disk. I am ok with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: