configure and modify the kernel setting, GENTOO installed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allal Mohamed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: configure and modify the kernel setting, GENTOO installed Reply with quote

i want that you awnser for this thanks pls, i have installed the system and i m in Kde desktop, and i want to set up the power manager, for this i have to set up somme new configuration in the kernel, i use as in the instalation of the system -gentoo- make menuconfig. but i have not compiled it yet, i want to now if the way is the same as in the installation ( what mean by the command# make && make modules_install and next by coping the kernel image in the boot part) or here the way is diffrent, also if i do what this can affect in installed programme in part and the system at all in other part (note im in kde and i won^t to repeat his instalation ). THANKS VERY MUCH :)
nemectic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd the same as during installation yes.

Ideally though you want to copy it to a different file in /boot, so if your first kernel is "/boot/kernel" you'd copy the new one to "/boot/kernel-1". You can make the name more meaningful or relevant to you of course. Then you'll need to create a second grub entry, assuming you're using grub (not grub2), just edit your grub.cfg and copy/paste the lines for your first kernel, changing the line that points to the kernel to point to the new name (ie. /boot/kernel-1), and change the title so you know which to boot.

The main reason you do this is in case you break something, you always have a working kernel you can boot up if the new one doesn't work.
Allal Mohamed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much for the quick answer i use grub2 and i dont know how configure it, can you explain pls thanks
nemectic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The below commands are pretty much everything you need to do - Be sure to replace <boot partition> with the correct device, ie /dev/sda1. If you don't remember it should be listed in /etc/fstab. Also replace <version> with whatever you wish to name it. After this simply reboot and you should have a choice of kernels to boot!

Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make && make modules_install
mount <boot partition> /boot
cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-<version>
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

As long as your kernel is located in /boot and named either kernel-<version> or vmlinuz-<version> grub should automatically pick it up and configure it for you.
Allal Mohamed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes this finish the case, but i have a last question, one^s i boot in the new system (kernel changed system changed), do all the old confuguration i meam my sections , and my kde , and all my installed softs be here present in this new system, it will be bad to remake all thanks very very much :)
nemectic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they'll all still be there. It's just one small (very important) part you've changed!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: