Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Looks like I'm the greenest person on this forum!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Looks like I'm the greenest person on this forum! Reply with quote

Looks like I'm now powered by this: http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2012-10-29/largest-wind-farm-takes-shape/

It's the world's largest wind farm ever and is being watched by the world to see just how viable large-scale generation of electricity from wind is.

What are your views?

I have a few questions for those in the know:

1. Why are they so far apart?
2. Could you not run smaller turbines off the turbulence generated by a bigger turbine?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort, a step in right direction anyway.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would already be pulling from Dungeness Nuclear Power Station

http://www.leonardo-energy.org/sites/leonardo-energy/files/root/pdf/2006/PS_EUR_Map_Electricity.pdf
http://www.leonardo-energy.org/sites/leonardo-energy/files/root/pdf/2006/PS_EUR_Map_renewables.pdf
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lighting is 100% LED and my showerhead is about 9.5 liters per minute. Beat that.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use diesel and whale oil generators on each individual appliance. My oven is coal fired, and I drive a semi.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Looks like I'm the greenest person on this forum! Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Looks like I'm now powered by this: http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2012-10-29/largest-wind-farm-takes-shape/
That doesn't make YOU green.

Personally I'd love to have a monolithic dome (easy to heat / cool) with geothermal / wind / solar in some combination that makes economic sense.

cokehabit wrote:
My guess would be to reduce interference of other turbines. And maybe to reduce collateral damage if one goes kaput.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
you would already be pulling from Dungeness Nuclear Power Station

http://www.leonardo-energy.org/sites/leonardo-energy/files/root/pdf/2006/PS_EUR_Map_Electricity.pdf
http://www.leonardo-energy.org/sites/leonardo-energy/files/root/pdf/2006/PS_EUR_Map_renewables.pdf
Yeah, I went round Dungeness B when I was at school. I think they have closed down A and C now though.

So I'm also supplied by Nuclear! I am soooooooo GREEN
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
My lighting is 100% LED and my showerhead is about 9.5 liters per minute. Beat that.
I have no clue what my showerhead is but all my lights are either LED or energysaving
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm green with envy.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a news sometime back where one of the mills got hit by something as big as a cow.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
There was a news sometime back where one of the mills got hit by something as big as a cow.

Sharktopus?
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Far more plausible thing. Flying cows.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, is the story.

Quote:
Was it a bird? Was it a plane? Perhaps a flying cow? So far, nothing has been discounted in the mysterious case of damage to the blades of a wind turbine in Conisholme in Lincolnshire.

Whatever it was happened at the weekend left the turbine without one of its 20m blades and another bent and gnarled. Ecotricity, the turbine's owners, cannot yet explain what happened. Dale Vince, founder of the renewable energy company, said on the BBC's Today programme that, whatever hit the blades it was "probably the size and weight of a cow".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7817000/7817258.stm
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were going to tell us about going to a party as the Hulk.
arttuv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Looks like I'm the greenest person on this forum! Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:

Radar signals come to mind. Building a large, thick and tall forest of these abominations is a really stupid idea. It's a fitting monument for the Green Lie.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Looks like I'm the greenest person on this forum! Reply with quote

arttuv wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Radar signals come to mind. Building a large, thick and tall forest of these abominations is a really stupid idea. It's a fitting monument for the Green Lie.
Green Lie? Isn't that in golf?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Looks like I'm the greenest person on this forum! Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:

Like dogleg... oh no, that's in Korean cuisine.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
arttuv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Looks like I'm the greenest person on this forum! Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
arttuv wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

I don't know these golfs and crickets you try to push for real sports. Green is mostly just good marketing and fat subsidies. That is why a field of still-standing and rusting propeller towers large enough to be seen from orbit is such a fitting representation for it. Although I do also like the thought they have around here. Solar panels, lots of them. This country lies entirely above the 60th latitude.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenness to one side, they're an eyesore.

Think they'd be able to make 'em out of transparent composites - then again, you'd end
up with bird related carnage I suppose.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I read somewhere they're not even green and do not generate enough electricity. The have hidden diesel generators which are responsible for most of the output.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Looks like I'm the greenest person on this forum! Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/05/130516-wind-energy-shadow-effect/
Quote:
"As soon as you start to put turbines into the wind, you start to change the resource," said Amanda Adams, a meteorologist who conducts atmospheric modeling at the University of North Carolina Charlotte. (See related quiz: "What You Don't Know About Wind Energy.")

In several recent published studies, Adams and other researchers have explored the issue of turbines stealing energy from the wind, creating drag or a "wind shadow" of air slowed by the spinning blades. Each turbine added to a particular landscape captures less energy. "You reach a point that if you add any more turbines, you get no more energy," Adams said.

Developers of wind farms recognize the risk, so they carefully space turbines to prevent one from robbing wind speed from another. But today's wind farms are small compared to the giant complexes needed to meet a significant slice of the world's energy needs. (See related story: "Sizing Up Wind Energy: Bigger Means Greener, Study Says.")

Adams and colleagues argue that when wind farms get big enough, they won't be able to avoid the wind-shadow effect.

Although a less pessimistic take here: http://spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/wind/little-limit-to-the-amount-of-wind-energy
NiHaoMike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the #1 solution to the energy solution that works and should be easy to do? Conserve, conserve, conserve. Which is why I drive a Prius and I'm currently building a hybrid air conditioner for my home. (Though it should be noted that the majority of conservation could be done without buying anything new.)
GTX 560 Ti 2GB
120mm Delta fan with Cindy Wu sensorless DSP drive
900W Lainey Schmidt digital power system
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (/)
2x 1TB HDD RAID 0 (/bulk)
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiHaoMike wrote:
And the #1 solution to the energy solution that works and should be easy to do? Conserve, conserve, conserve. Which is why I drive a Prius and I'm currently building a hybrid air conditioner for my home. (Though it should be noted that the majority of conservation could be done without buying anything new.)

So why then do you waste electricity by using Core7 that is in your sig?
900W PSU? You are killing the amazon forrest and what's left of hunter-gatherer cultures.
NiHaoMike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
NiHaoMike wrote:

So why then do you waste electricity by using Core7 that is in your sig?
900W PSU? You are killing the amazon forrest and what's left of hunter-gatherer cultures.

Currently wind energy generated off site, planning to add on site solar sometime in the future. It's just that in my area, air conditioning makes up the majority of home energy usage so that's what I'm working on first. Much more cost effective.

900W is the combined capacity of the two converter modules (550W main + 350W charger, both modified old server PSUs) and with my current configuration, it doesn't even come close to the limits of the 550W unit. (Highest I have seen is about 380W with the CPU running full turbo on all cores, fans going full speed, GPU full load.) It's actually an unusual design where the 550W converter is what normally supplies the 12V rail (which in turn supplies the 5V and 3.3V rails through buck converter modules), but a DC/DC converter (designed for 1kW, currently fused for 600W) operating in parallel can supply the rail from a 12V deep cycle battery, which can be charged through the 350W converter or by an external source.

Most of the time, the 350W converter and the DC/DC are not even operating. So the 550W converter is where I put most of the optimizations. Apart from the controversial PFC bypass mod (it's strictly for home use and the EMI is actually less than that of an identical unmodified unit), it automatically enters a period skipping mode at low power. There's also a relay to bypass the NTC.

On top of that, that machine normally doesn't run all the time - that's what my D2700 Atom box is for, using only 20W or so once the hard drive spins down. It also uses a DC power system, but with a 50W converter module and a bidirectional DC/DC converter for battery interfacing. (The battery is shared with the i7 box as well as several pieces of network gear.)
GTX 560 Ti 2GB
120mm Delta fan with Cindy Wu sensorless DSP drive
900W Lainey Schmidt digital power system
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (/)
2x 1TB HDD RAID 0 (/bulk)
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
And I read somewhere they're not even green and do not generate enough electricity. The have hidden diesel generators which are responsible for most of the output.
You must be reading MAD magazine guide to electrical generation
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: