eix configuration
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: eix configuration Reply with quote

Hello Everyone

I updated eix recently. The current version is 0.29.3. Since then, when I search for a package, the results appear with gray color over it. What parameter should I set in /etc/eixrc in order to remove this gray color which is quite annoying. I already had to add there EIX_LIMIT=0 in order to get all the eix results without being limited to 50.

I would like a parameter to store in the file, instead of typing each time
Code:
 eix --nocolor <package>

Thanks
Queen
CrankyPenguin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest update changed the default color scheme. Take a look in your ~/.eixrc file. You will need to find a set of variables called COLORSCHEME0, 1, ... These along with the TERM_ALT variables control the look of the screen. You will need to change them to use a different set of colors. I believe you will need to change the numeric settings in COLORSCHEME0 but you will need to look through the manpage for eix to determine which ones. I use 0, 2, and 5.

Hope that helps.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrankyPenguin wrote:
The latest update changed the default color scheme. Take a look in your ~/.eixrc file. You will need to find a set of variables called COLORSCHEME0, 1, ... These along with the TERM_ALT variables control the look of the screen. You will need to change them to use a different set of colors. I believe you will need to change the numeric settings in COLORSCHEME0 but you will need to look through the manpage for eix to determine which ones. I use 0, 2, and 5.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I don't have a .eixrc file in the home dir. I don't see COLORSCHEME, TERM_ALT in man page.
Can you please post your .eixrc file? Am I missing something in the man page?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the FAQ on the manpage. Perhaps
Code:
echo BG1=none >>/etc/eixrc/10-my-colors
echo BG3=none >>/etc/eixrc/10-my-colors
solves your problem with the colors, but probably actually the wrong colorscheme is chosen for your termainal and you want instead to fix the detection of DARK or something else; the FAQ contains more information. COLORSCHEME* and TERM_ALT* are certainly described in the manpage, too.
Quote:
I already had to add there EIX_LIMIT=0 in order to get all the eix results without being limited to 50

Are you aware that this limit is only active when you send the output to the terminal? Do you really want to see more results scrolling by on the terminal without e.g. piping to less? (This makes only sense if your terminal has a huge history...)
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Read the FAQ on the manpage. Perhaps
Code:
echo BG1=none >>/etc/eixrc/10-my-colors
echo BG3=none >>/etc/eixrc/10-my-colors
solves your problem with the colors, but probably actually the wrong colorscheme is chosen for your termainal and you want instead to fix the detection of DARK or something else; the FAQ contains more information. COLORSCHEME* and TERM_ALT* are certainly described in the manpage, too.
Quote:
I already had to add there EIX_LIMIT=0 in order to get all the eix results without being limited to 50

Are you aware that this limit is only active when you send the output to the terminal? Do you really want to see more results scrolling by on the terminal without e.g. piping to less? (This makes only sense if your terminal has a huge history...)

For the eix_limit, if it's long output I use the page up/page down scrolling.

Thanks, will check the faq.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen wrote:

The default should be enough for typical default buffer sizes. Of course, if you increased your buffer limit, it can make sense to increase the eix limit, too. I got sometimes hit in the opposite way by calling eix over a slow network and getting all packages listed by typing the return key too early by mistake - this can mean some minutes waiting (and a lot of traffic if you have to pay for it) if the limit is infinite, because Ctrl-C is sometimes not accepted due to the overloaded traffic...

Concerning colors, it might help you to read the discussion in this bug (and in the bug it is a duplicate of).
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
queen wrote:

The default should be enough for typical default buffer sizes. Of course, if you increased your buffer limit, it can make sense to increase the eix limit, too. I got sometimes hit in the opposite way by calling eix over a slow network and getting all packages listed by typing the return key too early by mistake - this can mean some minutes waiting (and a lot of traffic if you have to pay for it) if the limit is infinite, because Ctrl-C is sometimes not accepted due to the overloaded traffic...

Concerning colors, it might help you to read the discussion in this bug (and in the bug it is a duplicate of).

No I didn't changed the buffer size. Thanks for the links of the bugs. It's exactly what I experienced.

Your suggestion of the commands solved the problem. Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: