Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is the Gentoo population aging or getting younger?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShanaXXII
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apiaio wrote:
I like hear when young people use Linux.
Quote:
Heard about Linux from a friend and they recommended Gentoo as a good distribution. Took an long time to set up without any prior knowledge/experience with Linux.
I believe that it was not easy. But Gentoo is the best way how to understand Unix like operating systems.

Yeah, I learn a lot from installing Gentoo that I probably wouldn't have with other distributions.
vilehost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apiaio wrote:
Quote:
Heard about Linux from a friend and they recommended Gentoo as a good distribution. Took an long time to set up without any prior knowledge/experience with Linux.
I believe that it was not easy. But Gentoo is the best way how to understand Unix like operating systems.

not just that, but it also gives you an insight on the deployment of software on hardware, the relationship between userspace/highlevel and lower level operations.

in such a massive industry you'd think it would be a graduation requirement by now, but i guess it's only what they want from you.. not your level of procedural knowledge
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShanaXXII wrote:
apiaio wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I learn a lot from installing Gentoo that I probably wouldn't have with other distributions.

That's for sure. Your friend was either a bit of a sadist, or has a very high regard for your competence, recommending Gentoo as your *first* distro! With something like Mint you could have been up and running with everything working in a few minutes. However, yes, it seems that many people who go straight to a working GUI desktop on Linux lack the motivation to look around underneath and learn the real strengths of a Unix-like system, whereas Gentoo gets you involved in building it, so you've no choice but to learn something about how it works.

Maybe Gentoo really is "the best" way to learn a Unix-like OS...for competent new users, anyway...because it doesn't hide the nuts and bolts of the OS, and yet at the same time it automates a lot of the work you do with them. Slackware is simpler and easier to understand, and it has a bit more of that Unix-like feeling of completely independent bits and pieces that you can use together in creative ways: Gentoo is a more sophisticated, integrated and coherent system. Slackware is nice for learning; but Gentoo is much more usable in practice, especially if you like to experiment and don't want to spend hours and hours fiddling with build scripts. Gentoo shows you what's going on under the GUI, but actually does a lot of the work for you: you type emerge whatever and then sit back and watch as portage does quite a lot of nice magic. At the other extreme, building Linux From Scratch is probably the most detailed learning experience you can have, especially if you play around with different init scripts or package management or whatever...but it devours so much time, you really come to appreciate how amazing Gentoo is at building stuff from source, and flexibly, with minimal user effort.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: