View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joaander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: [solved] some init scripts not starting - driving me crazy Reply with quote

I've got a fresh gentoo install on amd64, and am having a very strange problem. Several services (namely: xdm, xdm-steup, consolekit, alsasound) do not start on boot. It isn't that they fail to start, its that openrc doesn't even try to start them! All of these are configured and work fine when started manually (/etc/init.d/xdm start works, for example)

I'm posting this under Desktop Environments because all of the services that refuse to start are related to DE's. The services that don't try and start coincide with services that are not even listed by rc-status (but are listed by rc-update show).

Code:
$ rc-status
Runlevel: default
 dbus                                                              [  started  ]
 net.enp0s18                                                       [  started  ]
 netmount                                                          [  started  ]
 syslog-ng                                                         [  started  ]
 vixie-cron                                                        [  started  ]
 local                                                             [  started  ]

Code:
$ rc-update show default
           consolekit | default
                 dbus | default
                local | default
          net.enp0s18 | default
             netmount | default
            syslog-ng | default
           vixie-cron | default
                  xdm | default
            xdm-setup | default

I also checked that the proper symlinks are in /etc/runlevels/default
Code:
$ ls -l /etc/runlevels/default/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jun 22 20:37 consolekit -> /etc/init.d/consolekit
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jun 20 21:04 dbus -> /etc/init.d/dbus
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jun  5 23:52 local -> /etc/init.d/local
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Jun 22 20:25 net.enp0s18 -> /etc/init.d/net.enp0s18
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jun  5 23:52 netmount -> /etc/init.d/netmount
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jun 13 09:42 syslog-ng -> /etc/init.d/syslog-ng
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jun 22 20:20 vixie-cron -> /etc/init.d/vixie-cron
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jun 22 20:21 xdm -> /etc/init.d/xdm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jun 22 21:03 xdm-setup -> /etc/init.d/xdm-setup

I just don't get what is going on. Why isn't openrc trying to start these services? What more can I do to debug this problem? Any help is appreciated. There is nothing special about my system, I basically followed the amd64 installation handbook to the letter when setting this machine up.

I found one other reference to this problem online, but no resolution was mentioned: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/245727

Last edited by joaander on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It likely means that one of their dependencies in not starting, enable logging in /etc/rc.conf and after a reboot inspect the log for anything giving a warning or failing.
joaander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
It likely means that one of their dependencies in not starting, enable logging in /etc/rc.conf and after a reboot inspect the log for anything giving a warning or failing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the log and it listed all services starting OK with the same curious absence of alsasound, xdm, consolekit and dbus. At this point, I decided to try
Code:
emerge -1 openrc

and sure enough, that fixed the problem! There must have been some weird permissions error or something else wrong with the openrc install on the stage3 tarball. Either way, problem solved![/code]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: