Installing Gentoo for a compete Nooby
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gulfwolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo for a compete Nooby Reply with quote

Im very new to the world of linux and i wish to know how to install gentoo i plan on installing it on virtual box first and see how it is if it runs well then i may
use it as my main os. Im curios will gentoo have KDE as my desktop enviorment or do i need to install it myslef if so how do i do this?Furthermore i read the handbook but had trouble understanding it.Can someone perhaps give some detailed instrucations on how too install it?
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Gentoo for a compete Nooby Reply with quote

Gulfwolf wrote:
Im very new to the world of linux

Welcome!

Gulfwolf wrote:
and i wish to know how to install gentoo i plan on installing it on virtual box first and see how it is if it runs well then i may
use it as my main os.

That's a very good idea, getting used to using it before installing it can help you avoid to make some mistakes to the main installation.

Gulfwolf wrote:
Im curios will gentoo have KDE as my desktop enviorment or do i need to install it myslef if so how do i do this?

Gentoo has the minimal software required so you can start building what you need on top of that; so, KDE is not present and needs to be installed.

You can follow http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE which explains this in detail; but before you do that, you'll have to install Gentoo itself first.

Gulfwolf wrote:
Furthermore i read the handbook but had trouble understanding it.Can someone perhaps give some detailed instrucations on how too install it?

The Handbook itself is a very detailed resource; if you don't understand a part of it then feel free to ask for clarifications, although the forums may be an annoying way (you have to wait) to do this you could join our support chat channel #gentoo on the Freenode IRC network. For instance, go to http://webchat.freenode.net/ then type your nickname, then for channels you type #gentoo, fill in the reCAPTCHA with the words and don't tick the checkboxes. After than you can click on connect and you will be in our support room.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: