64-bit HP via LiveDVD will not connect to isp
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryPeters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: 64-bit HP via LiveDVD will not connect to isp Reply with quote

Ok, I'm back from my old sis chipset, which I couldn't figure out how to handle my sis integrated video chip (startx kept crashing)... installing Gentoo via the liveDVD... So I decided to try a HP Pavillion 500-46 64-bit... (time for a newer computer anyway), finally figured out how to change the bios (Windows 8, preinstalled!!)... However, when booted into Gentoo via the DVD (64-bit), it would not connect with my isp (DCHP auto receive address)... Internet connect worked fine booting into my old computer... So I am wondering if anyone here has any ideas, suggestions to connect this way with this HP Pavillion?

Thanks much,
Henruy

Last edited by HenryPeters on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the running kernel support your network chip? You can find out by executing
Code:
ifconfig -a

to list all available network interfaces. If there is an eth0 (if you want to connect via ethernet) or wlan0 interface (for WiFi), you're good. If you're using WiFi, have you checked the RF kill switch is not active. Try also to search /var/log/messages for info about dhcp trying to receive an address. Another thing you can try is to run a dhcp client program by hand, for instance like this for 120s timeout and verbose output:
Code:
dhcpcd -v -t 120 eth0
HenryPeters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
Does the running kernel support your network chip? You can find out by executing
Code:
ifconfig -a

to list all available network interfaces. If there is an eth0 (if you want to connect via ethernet) or wlan0 interface (for WiFi), you're good. If you're using WiFi, have you checked the RF kill switch is not active. Try also to search /var/log/messages for info about dhcp trying to receive an address. Another thing you can try is to run a dhcp client program by hand, for instance like this for 120s timeout and verbose output:
Code:
dhcpcd -v -t 120 eth0

I will try these suggestions, thanks much.

Henry

P.s., also, thanks for correction on spelling of DHCP!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: