View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balisong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: root login Reply with quote

Now i know this has been asked before and there are several solved topics on this also the FAQ but i think my problem is different. I installed KDE and i know root login is disabled for security reasons. Also the su command on my user gives "permission denied" and the nano command gives the same "permision denied".

I stumbled upon a solution which i have to configure something in kdmrc from false to true, but there also i have permission denied. I have denied permision on /etc/group also and cant add my user to the "wheel" group because nano is denied.

Cant seem to find a solution anywhere so i registered here in hope for help. This is my first time installing gentoo so i apologize for starting a new thread for this.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try logging in as root from console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and then add your user to the "wheel" group.

It should work as long as you have set the root password and you remember it correctly. If not, you can boot from livecd, chroot into you system, and set the root password with "passwd".
Balisong
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
Try logging in as root from console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and then add your user to the "wheel" group.

It should work as long as you have set the root password and you remember it correctly. If not, you can boot from livecd, chroot into you system, and set the root password with "passwd".

Thank you so much :) This helped me a lot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: