View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saivinoba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] How to properly uninstall MATE Reply with quote

Hi,

I wanted to uninstall MATE but could not get information on the wiki or here as to how to do it proper way. I did
Code:
emerge -C mate-base/* mate-extra/*

This still left 'mate-terminal' and 'atril' (don't know what others). I was able to unmerge 'mate-terminal' but not 'atril'.

For 'atril' I get,
Code:
 a4741 / # which atril
/usr/bin/atril
a4741 / # emerge -pC atril
 * This action can remove important packages! In order to be safer, use
 * `emerge -pv --depclean <atom>` to check for reverse dependencies before
 * removing packages.

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

--- Couldn't find 'atril' to unmerge.

>>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge
a4741 / #

There is no issue if 'atril' is present on the system. I just want to know what is the proper way to uninstall MATE destkop. Infact it would be nice if the wikis for all DEs come with an 'Uninstalling' section as well.

P.S.: I don't have problem with MATE. I have it on three other PCs and working fine. Its just that I want to install KDE and in the process want to (learn how to) uninstall MATE.

Last edited by saivinoba on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Continue the cleaning with
Code:
emerge --ask --depclean

And to find in which ebuild belong atril
Code:
equery b /usr/bin/atril

saivinoba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Xavier,

Thank you very much. I did not have equery command. I waited for KDE meta installation and then emerged gentoolkit. Your equery command showed atril was required by mate-document-viewer. And doing 'emerge -pv --depclean' showed more mate related packages like mate-text-editor and some libraries. Now, it seems the MATE desktop is completely gone.

Shouldn't the uninstall procedure be part of the wiki for particular DE? I can go ahead and edit the wiki (when it comes online; wiki site is offline as of this post) and someone can correct me if required. Or do you suggest not to?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saivinoba wrote:
Shouldn't the uninstall procedure be part of the wiki for particular DE?

No. The process is general and is fairly well documented. First, use emerge -ac <packages> to remove the undesired packages from the world file and use emerge -ac to clean up. Using emerge -C should be avoided if at all possible since it isn't safe. In fact, using it the way you did is one of the easiest ways to break an install. You can check what is in your world file by using less /var/lib/portage/world or other pager. Just never edit the file by hand. Very bad things can happen if you try that.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
saivinoba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the info. I will go through the provided link and be careful next time with unmerging.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference if you want to nuke MATE, make sure to first check the list that it gives you:

Quote:
emerge -aC $(grep -rl --include=*.ebuild '\(SRC_URI\|HOMEPAGE\).*mate-desktop' /usr/portage/ | sed 's:/usr/portage/\(.*/.*\)/.*:\1:' | sort -u)

This looks for mate-desktop in the homepage and distfiles of the ebuilds; thus listing all the MATE desktop ebuilds, allowing you to remove them all at once.

As suggested before; for sanity and completeness, consider to run `emerge -ac` afterwards.

Edit: Consider this the forced approach; usually, you'll only have the meta package or so merged which just means `emerge -c mate-base/mate` would then suffice.

Last edited by TomWij on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
saivinoba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tom. I guess the same command can be used for other DE with appropriate changes.

I need to read Handbook fully. I just finished Chapter 1 for installing and started fiddling around :-D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: