Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
mysterious gnome 3.6.2 login failure - help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luciano
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: mysterious gnome 3.6.2 login failure - help! Reply with quote

I'm having a strange problem when logging into gnome-3 via gdm. Screen just goes black (I can still see the mouse cursor), and after a few seconds, the gdm restarts. It sounds very much like this: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-946422.html. But the suggestions there haven't helped.

If I try logging in with a completely new user, it works fine. What's even stranger, is that I share /home and /usr/portage with another machine (i.e. the machines are practically in sync), into which I can log in with the same user. So I'm stumped. The problem machine has an intel i915 chipset, while the working one has an nvidia card. I've tried switching between mesa classic and gallium drivers.

sample logs:

:0-greeter.log

Code:

Window manager warning: Log level 16: Failed to load apps: Failed to look up men
u_file for "applications.menu"

JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Sat Jun 08 2013 20:09:18 GMT+0100 (BST)
failed to create drawable

--- snip snip --- the last line repeats for two pages
Code:

Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
Window manager warning: Got a request to focus the no_focus_window with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!
Window manager warning: Log level 8: g_source_remove: assertion `tag > 0' failed
gnome-session[5122]: WARNING: Detected that screensaver has left the bus
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.

(gnome-settings-daemon:5144): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Error releasing name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon: The connection is closed
gnome-session[5122]: CRITICAL: gsm_manager_set_phase: assertion `GSM_IS_MANAGER (manager)' failed

(gnome-settings-daemon:5144): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Error releasing name org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver: The connection is closed

:1-slave.log
Code:

gdm-simple-slave[5235]: WARNING: Failed to give slave programs access to the display. Trying to proceed.
gdm-launch-environment][5248]: pam_loginuid(gdm-launch-environment:session): set_loginuid failed
gdm-launch-environment][5248]: pam_unix(gdm-launch-environment:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
gdm-launch-environment][5248]: pam_ck_connector(gdm-launch-environment:session): nox11 mode, ignoring PAM_TTY :1

I can also post 0.log, but it's rather long, and there are no EE or WW messages (apart from some missing font dirs).

Somebody please help!
luciano
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now this prob has become urgent as my other PC's video card is dying ...

I've managed to work around this problem by running 'startx', and then 'gnome-shell' from a terminal. At this point, the screen goes black (cursor still visble), and then I get the gnome-shell, along with a prompt 'enter password for default keyring'. I think this is the problem that is causing the login from gdm to fail.

On cancelling the 'enter default password ..' dialog, I get the following errors:

Code:

Window manager warning: Log level 16: fetch_connections_done: error fetching connections: (25) Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1.
Window manager warning: Log level 16: _nm_remote_settings_ensure_inited: (NMRemoteSettings) error initializing: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

Hope somebody can help with this ...
luciano
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although this has turned into a monologue, I thought I would note that I found the solution to my problems, in case somebody has a similar issue.

Embarrassingly, the default session had somehow been changed from 'gnome', to 'Xsession'. So I wasn't trying to load up gnome, but instead and x session I last configured five years ago - no wonder it didn't work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: