accurately dd sectors?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: accurately dd sectors? Reply with quote

hi,

With fdisk I have a layout that the last partition ends in 1465147119 but fdisk reports total of 1465149168. This is confirmed with GUI gparted that shows a piece of un-allocated section at the end. Either m$$ install is bugged or does it to prevent damaged?

How to accurately dd that space in order to examine it? I find it funny that m$$$ doesn't use 100% of hard drive.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The partition probably doesn't start at the beginning of the drive. If it did start at the beginning there would probably be something wrong, as this isn't usually allowed because the partition table shouldn't be part of a partition.

You need to examine: First sector, count of sectors

This tells you where a partition is. Make sure you do your math right so you don't get an off-by-one error: If you add count_of_sectors to first_sector, you will arrive at the sector number for the first sector AFTER the partition.

My trick for these things is always construct a simple test in your head - first sector is 1, number of sectors 1... if you add them you get 2 which is after sector 1 (the only one in our pretend partition).
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not getting you. The un-allocated part is at the very end of the disk drive:

from

to

mm.. I just realize that it isn't a partition so I don't know how to use dd in this case. This is similar than copying the mbr part.

can u help? :/
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpt patition tables do have a backup at end of disk!
Let it live there!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: