Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MurphyG wrote:
What's your point?

Point being that I wouldn't have entered if you hadn't talked about trying out KDE4. And with your dislike possibly making you move away quickly without considering the options.

MurphyG wrote:
genstorm wrote:
Because embedded mysql works better, you don't need to configure anything.

And that differs from SQLite in which way?

https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi/Database#Sqlite

MurphyG wrote:
genstorm wrote:
Uniquely on Gentoo, there's even old-PIM available which doesn't need akonadi.

Now, that's finally an interesting detail. Then, who said I want PIM at all? But I'm sure the argument goes that it's included in the base "for a better and modern user experience", as well as a collection of Plasma widgets. See, and that's the central point why I would rather use TDE instead of KDE4!

I assumed you did, because otherwise it should be possible to do without akonadi-server, hence mysql. USE="-addressbook -akonadi -kdepim -semantic-desktop". A few others, like kget and kwalletd would require -gpg and ktorrent should be set to -rss, kdebase-runtime-meta built with -crash-reporter.
MurphyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
MurphyG wrote:
genstorm wrote:
Because embedded mysql works better, you don't need to configure anything.

And that differs from SQLite in which way?

https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi/Database#Sqlite

Then what's with this?

https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi/Database#MySQL.2FEmbedded
Quote:
Supported modes: Embedded
Development stopped, MySQL/Embedded does not support transactions.

Bottom line: SQLite works with limitations, MySQL/Embedded doesn't work at all.

Thank you for the hints on the use flags, I'll surely try them. However, this discussion is now going out of the scope of this thread.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MurphyG wrote:
Then what's with this?

https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi/Database#MySQL.2FEmbedded

Well, that was really me saying embedded when I actually meant internal...
MurphyG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
And with your dislike possibly making you move away quickly without considering the options.

If you really want to advocate the use of KDE4 to such old, reactionary farts like me, you could probably do it best by writing How-To set up a lean, clean desktop without bells and whistles and "modern" bling-bling; after all you seem to have the insights. Surely there are alternatives, but I still like KDE and its application zoo, though not the fully-bloated KDE4 as it installs by default.
However, I don't understand your dislike of TDE as a suitable desktop alternative; after all you don't have to support it.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hate KDE4+ mainly because I hate the interface and the dependency cascade; Am currently stuck on KDE3.5 until TDE or some other less horrible UI appears and is easy enough to install that I can actually do it! :)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MurphyG wrote:
If you really want to advocate the use of KDE4 to such old, reactionary farts like me, you could probably do it best by writing How-To set up a lean, clean desktop without bells and whistles and "modern" bling-bling;

I don't run such a 'lean, clean' setup myself because it would lack much of what I actually enjoy about the well integrated DE that KDE4 really is. The same reason currently keeps me from using Plasma 5 in production, until more parts are ported. So I shouldn't write that guide, but I still like to help out with a quick look at a combination of `equery d` and `equery u` to do some bloat mythbustering. It's all in the USE flags.

MurphyG wrote:
though not the fully-bloated KDE4 as it installs by default.

What a strange thing to say as a Gentoo user, at least you have the means to make your own default. ;)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MurphyG: Don't get into it, seriously.

genstorm seems unable to comprehend the meaning of the word "default"; it's come up before, so not your issue.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL, you can speak directly to me if you disagree with anything I've said.
cord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reloading thread.

I found this: https://github.com/Fat-Zer/trinity.git
Anyone tried it?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MurphyG wrote:
If you really want to advocate the use of KDE4 to such old, reactionary farts like me, you could probably do it best by writing How-To set up a lean, clean desktop without bells and whistles and "modern" bling-bling"

Heh, that's how I run KDE; it starts by getting rid of semantic-craptop, which loses KMail2, though as genstorm pointed out, there is an earlier KMail package still in the tree.

In my case, after switching to Mutt, I then found it easy to turn off nubkit, which made the desktop a little snappier still, but nowhere near as much as getting rid of all the akonadi/MySQL crap (three layers of "database abstraction", iirc.)
This topic covers both aspects. (You need/ed to use /etc/portage/profile/use.force so mkdir first.)

Nowadays you need to mask KF5/Plasma to stay with KDE-4 as well, as they've hit the "stable" tree.

WRT trinity, you don't mention the kde-sunset overlay which tux2015 raised above.
AFAICT that is "Gentoo Trinity" so it would be good if you helped out on it (if you're not already involved.)

HTH,
steveL (loving his fast KDE-4 install, at last.)
zelurker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Late reply... Reply with quote

I just gave this a try, I was curious to see some good old kde3 desktop running nowdays. So I started with one of the livecds which I ran from a virtualbox machine, took the ubuntu one. For some reason the iso wasn't recognized by virtualbox and I needed to run isohybrid on it, after that it ran well.

Since I liked what I saw, I took a look at how to build it.
It's not bad, it's made to be installed in a completely different directory tree (/opt/trinity), with binaries having their k replaced by t so that they can exist together with some kde4 installation eventually.

So I decided to give it a try, it's gentoo after all, you shouldn't be afraid about building things !
Well most of the packages build out of the box following their instructions.
I had to change my LD_LIBRARY_PATH while building their version of qt3 so that it finds the libs it was building (!), and the hard one was tqtinterface. They advice to install it in /usr, but I forgot and I tried /opt/trinity, well I had to create quite a few symlinks to make it work, but it's not a big issue.
I didn't build the tqca-tls, based on configure with so very few options that it was scary and they didn't say a thing about it.
nor avahi-tqt because it requires avahi which I don't have installed yet so since it's optionnal I decided to try without it.
And I stopped at tdebase because you can try it with just these few.
It's quite fast to build once qt3 and tqtinterface are installed. It would probably be hard to make some nice ebuilds for that, but if you do it manually it's quite fast (re-using always the same build command, relying on some pre-defined environment variables).

Well they forgot to mention tde-i18n if you want something else than english and it's a big download but it probably installs fast, typing this message while the download finishes.
Anyway it works nicely. When using the applications submenu, you can choose between the tde version and the kde4 version if you have it installed because the kde4 version is moved to a subcategory KDE for each application category, which feels nice. And everything seems to work fine, for my fast test at least (file manager, html and help browser, launching things from associations...).
All in all it's really not that bad, I always prefered kde3 rather than gnome2, so I don't like mate, so it's not a bad choice.
I don't want to switch to kde5 for now but I'll keep kde4 for now and I'll see if I start to use this regularly, but it's really not bad ! :)
ezzep
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Late reply... Reply with quote

zelurker wrote:
I just gave this a try, I was curious to see some good old kde3 desktop running nowdays. So I started with one of the livecds which I ran from a virtualbox machine, took the ubuntu one. For some reason the iso wasn't recognized by virtualbox and I needed to run isohybrid on it, after that it ran well.

So I decided to give it a try, it's gentoo after all, you shouldn't be afraid about building things !
Well most of the packages build out of the box following their instructions.
I had to change my LD_LIBRARY_PATH while building their version of qt3 so that it finds the libs it was building (!), and the hard one was tqtinterface. They advice to install it in /usr, but I forgot and I tried /opt/trinity, well I had to create quite a few symlinks to make it work, but it's not a big issue.
I didn't build the tqca-tls, based on configure with so very few options that it was scary and they didn't say a thing about it.
nor avahi-tqt because it requires avahi which I don't have installed yet so since it's optionnal I decided to try without it.
And I stopped at tdebase because you can try it with just these few.
It's quite fast to build once qt3 and tqtinterface are installed. It would probably be hard to make some nice ebuilds for that, but if you do it manually it's quite fast (re-using always the same build command, relying on some pre-defined environment variables).

Well they forgot to mention tde-i18n if you want something else than english and it's a big download but it probably installs fast, typing this message while the download finishes.
Anyway it works nicely. When using the applications submenu, you can choose between the tde version and the kde4 version if you have it installed because the kde4 version is moved to a subcategory KDE for each application category, which feels nice. And everything seems to work fine, for my fast test at least (file manager, html and help browser, launching things from associations...).
All in all it's really not that bad, I always prefered kde3 rather than gnome2, so I don't like mate, so it's not a bad choice.
I don't want to switch to kde5 for now but I'll keep kde4 for now and I'll see if I start to use this regularly, but it's really not bad ! :)

OK, I'm running Ubuntu on Bash on Windows 10. I wanted KDE3 and not KDE4 or Gnome, due to DBUS not working with Windows. Not sure why. Anyway, it's just easier to get KDE3/Trinity working. My problem is that the packages for Trinity installed in /opt/trinity. I just copied over the folders and files from /opt to where I thought they went. What path did you create for Trinity? And what command did you use?
njsg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

WRT trinity, you don't mention the kde-sunset overlay which tux2015 raised above.
AFAICT that is "Gentoo Trinity" so it would be good if you helped out on it (if you're not already involved.)

Where is this nowadays?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity was never packaged for Gentoo. kde-sunset is simply a dumping ground for old KDE3- and KDE4-ebuilds as they were kicked out of main tree.

Here's the URL: https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/kde-sunset.git/

I would not waste my time on that but everyone is free how to spend theirs I guess...
njsg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thanks!

If anybody is interested in getting Trinity on gentoo, there is already a request on bugzilla, bug 389359 (from 2011, I know).
gissf1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: 2019 Updates? Reply with quote

I tried installing Trinity today from the above mentioned Fat-Zer overlay. Upon its failure to pull down tqt sources, which is essential for any additional packages, I noticed that it hasn't been updated in at least 7 months (since Jan 2019). There has been significant changes since then. In particular, there has been another release (R14.0.6) and a change in the code repository location, both of which have yet to be reflected in this overlay.

Because of this, I have forked the overlay repository to my github, and I will attempt to make the required updates. I will send a PR to Fat-Zer once I feel the updates are tested and ready.

For anyone that may be interested, my fork is available here: https://github.com/gissf1/trinity-overlay

I've also made a post in the above mentioned bug report referencing this forum so I can hopefully bring together and collaborate with other people willing to assist in building support for TDE in Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: