Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]Slim not starting xsessions properly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Incomplet
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Apr 2012
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Slim not starting xsessions properly Reply with quote

EDIT: Ok after some testing with twm and xterm I verified that xorg-server is working, but slim was not loading the xsessions properly from /etc/X11/Sessions. When I use ~/.xinitrc and startx I can get xfce to load, so I know it's working, but not from slim.

EDIT: I've tried everything I can think of now, including editing /etc/env.d/90xsession, loading from the directory or from a list in slim.conf, and switching versions of slim. All I get is an empty xorg-server session.


Last edited by Incomplet on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mistwolf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 106
Location: Edmonton, AB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the login screen of slim, what happens if you press F1?

On my system, by default, it loads Xsession, not XFCE, first, have to press F1 to select XFCE.

My slim.conf has the sessions variable commented out, try changing that to default to XFCE.

hope this helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Incomplet
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Apr 2012
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistwolf wrote:
On the login screen of slim, what happens if you press F1?

It cycles through the sessions as normal. I knew that, but they still don't load. I've rarely had to manually select a session, and even if I don't select one (which is typical) it usually still loads no problem.

Mistwolf wrote:
On my system, by default, it loads Xsession, not XFCE, first, have to press F1 to select XFCE.

Xsession is usually the last loaded, not the default.

Mistwolf wrote:
My slim.conf has the sessions variable commented out, try changing that to default to XFCE.

hope this helps.

Actually I tried that too, to see if I could force it to load ~/.xinitrc, but that doesn't seem to work either. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't an odd xorg issue, I'm gonna try updating to the latest minor rev and see if that doesn't help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ant P.
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 2204
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use ~/.xsession, not ~/.xinitrc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mv
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 3782

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that slim does by deafult when you select a session is to pass the session name to the script specified in login_command (which is /usr/share/slim/Xsession by default). This is a shell script, and for debugging you can insert commands here like e.g.
Code:
{echo 'New session'; printf '%s\n' "${@}"; } >>/tmp/selected_session

to output the actually passed parameters to /tmp/selected_session so that you can verify whether the right session name is passed. Now this script just executes the corresponding file in /etc/X11/Sessions if it is executable (resp. sources it in the current shell specified in login_command if it is not). So also in the /etc/X11/Sessions you can insert some similar code to check whether it is really called as intended.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Incomplet
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Apr 2012
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
All that slim does by deafult when you select a session is to pass the session name to the script specified in login_command (which is /usr/share/slim/Xsession by default). This is a shell script, and for debugging you can insert commands here like e.g.
Code:
{echo 'New session'; printf '%s\n' "${@}"; } >>/tmp/selected_session

to output the actually passed parameters to /tmp/selected_session so that you can verify whether the right session name is passed. Now this script just executes the corresponding file in /etc/X11/Sessions if it is executable (resp. sources it in the current shell specified in login_command if it is not). So also in the /etc/X11/Sessions you can insert some similar code to check whether it is really called as intended.


That makes sense, but leaves some questions. I changed login_cmd to:
Code:
login_cmd           exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc


which shouldn't use /etc/X11/Sessions at all, but it still doesn't work. The problem seems to be what slim is or isn't passing to xorg. I forgot to do an fsck after formatting this disk (which did turn up some inconsistencies), so it's possible I'm getting weird artifacts from that. I'll check that next since nobody else seems to have this problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
v_andal
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 283
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have ck-launch-session in the .xinitrc? I had problem with this set up because older version of slim didn't do session initiation, but the newer version does. As result I would get 2 active sessions and things wouldn't work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mv
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 3782

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incomplet wrote:
I changed login_cmd to:
Code:
login_cmd           exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc

So you are not passing %session at all: Your ~/.xinitrc has no chance to know which session it should start. Even if you do pass it as a first parameter: Does your ~/.xinitrc honour the parameter appropriately?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Incomplet
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Apr 2012
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Incomplet wrote:
I changed login_cmd to:
Code:
login_cmd           exec /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc

So you are not passing %session at all: Your ~/.xinitrc has no chance to know which session it should start. Even if you do pass it as a first parameter: Does your ~/.xinitrc honour the parameter appropriately?


No I don't have ck-launch-session setup. No my xinitrc doesn't honor %session, it's entire contents are:
Code:
exec gnome-session-cinnamon


I think this is probably due to something in one of slim's dependencies, since fsck didn't seem to do anything either. I'm switching my system from amd64 to ~amd64 to see if that doesn't help. It tells me slim has to be rebuilt so hopefully it'll fix itself. Whatever it is, it's breaking slim no matter what method I try to use to start a session.

EDIT: Upgrading to ~amd64 was a disaster and I ended up having to start practically from scratch. I managed to get slim working by adding the script stuff for slim to .xinitrc, although I still have no idea why it wasn't working before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum