Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Current version of Gnome for a basic Gentoo install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryPeters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Current version of Gnome for a basic Gentoo install? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am currently running Gnome 2.30.2, via Debian Squeeze, which does work (except I have some problems, probably not related to Gnome, but can't say this for sure).

Any way, though I would try a fresh install, & try some other Linux OS, as well. I found out that Gnome 3 does not (!) get along with my CPU (Mobile AMD Athlon, XP-M Processor 3000, with an SIS integreated video card, & 1.5 GiB ram)... I think it's a graphic card problem, though not entirely sure. I read in the Gentoo install hand book that Gnome 2 is the MOST current version of Gnome. Is this true?

The KDE that boots up with the Gentoo LiveDVD does not seem to have my monitor settings... (1400 x 900), so don't really know if this is just a limitation of KDE, or simply a convenience to simplify the DVD (or something else).

Point is, trying to find a desktop that works as needed/desired. Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Henry
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the current stable Gnome in Gentoo is still 2. However Gnome2 is unmaintained upstream, so going with Mate would be the better choice. Unfortunately no Mate ebuilds in the main portage tree, so you'll have to use an overlay.

Regarding graphics... Knowing which SiS chip exactly you have would be nice (lspci will tell you that). Most of them work with the xf86-video-sis driver, however there's a few that require a driver that gentoo doesn't package.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo you can choose either gnome2 or gnome3, its gnome2 by default when you run emerge gnome

gentoo has the power to switch versions of packages, so if vala 14 doesnt agree with your system, you can merge vala 18.

regarding gnome....

2.32.1-r2, ~(3.6.2), ![3.8.0]

you can unmask 3.8.0 if your crazy, you can add ~amd64 or ~x86 to your make config to make ~ version accepted, or you can do nothing and get gnome 2.32.1-r2

i use gnome2 & gdm and love gentoo because of this.

xfce4 might also suit your fancy... it can almost be made to mimic gnome2s behavior. i want mate, but i wont accept it until i know it has a good "mdm" going.
HenryPeters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote][/code]
Gusar wrote:
Yep, the current stable Gnome in Gentoo is still 2. However Gnome2 is unmaintained upstream, so going with Mate would be the better choice. Unfortunately no Mate ebuilds in the main portage tree, so you'll have to use an overlay.

Regarding graphics... Knowing which SiS chip exactly you have would be nice (lspci will tell you that). Most of them work with the xf86-video-sis driver, however there's a few that require a driver that gentoo doesn't package.

Yes, thanks ALL for replies & helpful info! Here is the out put from the above named command:

[quote]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 761/M761 Host (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SG86C202
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS964 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 36)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SATA (rev 01)
00:0a.0 Multimedia controller: Motorola DSP56361 Digital Signal Processor (rev 01)
00:0d.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 01)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 03)

Henry
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
i want mate, but i wont accept it until i know it has a good "mdm" going.

Why not simply use lightdm with the gtk2 greeter? Seems to be a perfect fit for Mate.

@HenryPeters: I think xf86-video-sis should be able to handle that graphics chip.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: