[SOLVED] gpt partitions not listed up in Thunar
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gauge-symmetrical
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] gpt partitions not listed up in Thunar Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've installed fresh Gentoo system on the disk with gpt layout, with dualboot. Besides Linux root and home I have two Windows partitions. In my prior installation of Gentoo on an MBR disk, Windows partitions were listed up in Thunar sidebar and I could mount Windows partitions by clicking the icon in the sidebar and thus I was able to access those partitions. In new setup Thunar seems to be unable to detect Windows partitions. However, these partitions are listed in /proc/partitions and I'm able to mount them from the command line. Also, grub2/os-prober looks like blind to other partitions and I can't run grub-mkconfig seamlessly after adding new kernel, because Windows loader is not detected and not added to grub menu. Unfortunately, I found no solutions on the Internet and I don't see any reasons why this behaviour takes place now.

My previous installation was Gentoo x86 on the MBR partitioned disk. The new one is amd64 on gpt with UEFI. Kernel has "EFI GUID Partition support" enabled. I also have udisks installed. Flash drives are detect correctly without any problems. What could I have missed? I would be thankful for any help.

UP: I'm aware of Windows 10 not really shutting down and thus keeping NTFS volumes "dirty". Even if I don't let Windows to hibernate instead of shutdown and truly terminate it, the partitions are missing from Thunar sidebar/not seen by os-prober/grub. I'm using Xfce on Linux.

Last edited by gauge-symmetrical on Wed May 30, 2018 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gauge-symmetrical ...

I suspect it is a difference in kernel and/or packages with the MBR/GPT installs. What were you using previously to mount NTFS, the in kernel CONFIG_NTFS_FS or sys-fs/ntfs3g? For the later you should check that CONFIG_FUSE_FS is enabled, and that sys-fs/ntfs3g is installed. Otherwise, it might be a good idea to post the following:

Code:
# lsblk -o +fstype,label /dev/sda
# egrep '^[^#]' /etc/fstab
# cat /etc/mtab

best ... khay
gauge-symmetrical
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your attention, khay.

In my previous installation, I used ntfs3g and Windows partitions weren't explicitly listed in fstab. As far as I understand, they were detected by udisks somehow. Unfortunately, I don't have clear vision of how udisks handles partitions and how it interacts with Thunar, but I suppose udisks relies on udev, in turn. I can't recall any custom udev rules for partitions and old installation doesn't exist anymore (gone in a disk disaster), so I cannot check things. This time I've also installed udisks and ntfs3g without listing my partitions in fstab. fuse loaded automatically. Another weird point, however, is that grub can't seem to detect partitions. This makes me think the roots of this problem are somewhere deeper, than udisks.

Output for lsblk
Code:
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT FSTYPE LABEL
sda      8:0    0   1.8T  0 disk                   
├─sda1   8:1    0   256M  0 part            vfat   
├─sda2   8:2    0    16M  0 part                   
├─sda3   8:3    0  97.7G  0 part            ntfs   root
├─sda4   8:4    0 976.6G  0 part /mnt/win   ntfs   alpha
├─sda5   8:5    0    82G  0 part /          xfs   
├─sda6   8:6    0  15.6G  0 part [SWAP]     swap   
└─sda7   8:7    0 690.9G  0 part /home      xfs

Here, "alpha" is mounted manually. But neither "root" nor "alpha" is seen by Thunar.

Here is my mtab
Code:
cat /etc/mtab
/dev/sda5 / xfs rw,noatime,attr2,inode64,noquota 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=1918565,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nodev,relatime,size=1535176k,mode=755 0 0
mqueue /dev/mqueue mqueue rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
selinuxfs /sys/fs/selinux selinuxfs rw,relatime 0 0
efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars efivarfs ro,relatime 0 0
cgroup_root /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755 0 0
openrc /sys/fs/cgroup/openrc cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/lib64/rc/sh/cgroup-release-agent.sh,name=openrc 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup/unified cgroup2 rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
cpuset /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset 0 0
cpu /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu 0 0
cpuacct /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
blkio /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio 0 0
memory /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory 0 0
devices /sys/fs/cgroup/devices cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices 0 0
freezer /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer 0 0
perf_event /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event 0 0
pids /sys/fs/cgroup/pids cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids 0 0
/dev/sda7 /home xfs rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,noquota 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
none /run/user/1000 tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=700,uid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs rw,relatime,size=7675876k,mode=775,uid=250,gid=250 0 0
/dev/sda4 /mnt/win fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gauge-symmetrical wrote:
Another weird point, however, is that grub can't seem to detect partitions. This makes me think the roots of this problem are somewhere deeper, than udisks.

gauge-symmetrical ... I'm not a grub user so someone else might be better placed to answer, however, I expect grub2 uses the gpt partition table, and (I assume) 'code' types, for detecting what partitions are what. I should have asked to see these along with lsblk:

Code:
# gdisk -l /dev/sda

gauge-symmetrical wrote:
Code:
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT FSTYPE LABEL
sda      8:0    0   1.8T  0 disk                   
├─sda1   8:1    0   256M  0 part            vfat   
├─sda2   8:2    0    16M  0 part                   
├─sda3   8:3    0  97.7G  0 part            ntfs   root
├─sda4   8:4    0 976.6G  0 part /mnt/win   ntfs   alpha
├─sda5   8:5    0    82G  0 part /          xfs   
├─sda6   8:6    0  15.6G  0 part [SWAP]     swap   
└─sda7   8:7    0 690.9G  0 part /home      xfs

AFAIK udev uses the type/fstype/label, in your case the 'root' label, isn't root, but your win10 install. I'm not sure this matters because you're probably passing 'root=' and 'rootfstype=' to the kernel, but I can't say what udev, or udisk, will interpret that to mean.

You're welcome & best ... khay
gauge-symmetrical
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well. As suspected, the cause of evil was lying in the depth. My bad, somehow I let the following kernel config parameters to creep into my system, without noticing udev complaints during massive updates
Code:
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2

This broke udev and, hence, udisks.
After disabling these parameters and rebuilding the kernel everything started to work. Thunar now displays Windows partitions and grub is able to detect Windows EFI loader.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: