dispatch-conf new features?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLexx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: dispatch-conf new features? Reply with quote

I'm posting here because, I'm wondering if there is any general interest for adding new features to dispatch-conf.

It seams that, as a self described control freak, dispatch-conf is missing some features that make it easier to control MY computer. I have looked through the documentation, and not found the sorts of features I'm looking for. I am wondering if other people have noticed these features lacking, or if I'm just suffering from some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Here are some of the ideas I have in mind as a want list.

1. The first "missing feature" is some sort of dry-run. A sort of "--pretend" mode that does not actually make any changes, but instead shows the user what sort of config file changes are needed. It also gives a count of how many updates are needed.

2. I have extensive understanding with RSC and I use RCS with dispatch-conf. I have a script that builds a tree in root's home directory, "/root/" that mirrors the tree in "/etc/config-archive/" with symbolic links (RCS) to it's subdirectories. This shadow structure makes it easier make comparisons to the different versions and to "co" and examine those other versions.

3. I prefer emacs as editor when merging files. I would like to make some sort of script that allows to you your favorite editor when manual manual merging is needed.

For now, I do not intend on changing the dispatch-conf system. But I am writing some python scripts that can be used along side the current dispatch-conf system. If there is general interested in the scripts, I can make them public.
dol-sen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try app-portage/etc-proposals. It is a gtk gui that displays all the changes and breaks them up into sections that can be accepted, rejected. It makes light work of managing changes
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: