View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmoney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my zd7000 with the brightview display and all I can say is that this is hands down the most beautiful display I've ever seen. It's like looking at glossy paper. I was able to get it running at native resolution (1680x1050) with the following modelines:

Modeline "1680x1050" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087
Modeline "1680x1050" 188.07 1680 1800 1984 2288 1050 1051 1054 1096
Modeline "1680x1050" 214.51 1680 1800 1984 2288 1050 1051 1054 1103
Modeline "1680x1050" 256.20 1680 1808 1992 2304 1050 1051 1054 1112

So far, everything on it works (I haven't tried the modem or the media card reader but don't need either one). I broke down and bought driverloader as ndiswrapper was giving me troubles but this is one sweet system.
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: damit Reply with quote

damit
damit
damit
damit

I want one (higher resolution screen)! I looked at the HP web stie and it's a 1680x1050 resolution screen.

I wonder if I can order just a LCD and replace it??

heath
gmoney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth a shot. I doubt the physical dimensions of the screens are any different but they're probably pretty expensive to buy individually. Thanks again for the nice guide on getting Gentoo setup on the zd7000 series. I already had a gentoo install and was just looking to migrate it but it was good to know that other people had gentoo up and running on it. Do you have any problems with 2.6.4 or 2.6.5 rebooting your laptop? 2.6.3 works flawlessly for me but anything higher randomly reboots when accessing my external firewire drive. At least I can work around it just fine. Hopefully by tonight I'll be back to an encrypted root filesystem and then all will be well.......
nlightn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried running x.org's xserver on the Pavilion ZD7000? I ordered one, and I'd like to switch over if it works. If not, I may just try and fiddle around with it.
gmoney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running the X.org server on mine and it works just fine. Besides things having different names I haven't realy noticed any differences. I was getting some weird xkb errors for a while (that didn't affect anything) but they're gone now so I assume that something I emerged recently fixed it. I can post my xorg.conf if it helps at all but I've got the brightview (1680x1050) display.
nlightn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmoney wrote:
I'm running the X.org server on mine and it works just fine. Besides things having different names I haven't realy noticed any differences. I was getting some weird xkb errors for a while (that didn't affect anything) but they're gone now so I assume that something I emerged recently fixed it. I can post my xorg.conf if it helps at all but I've got the brightview (1680x1050) display.

You haven't noticed any big differences? Are you sure you're using x.org's xserver? I thought it was supposed to have much better performance, true transparency, etc. I know this is just your opinion, but I was under the impression that the xorg server was miles ahead of xfree.

Anyways, as for posting your config, I don't think it would be necessary. I don't have the brightview display (I have the 17.0" WVA WXGA+ 1440x900 display). I was more or less curious if anyone had it running. Thanks though.
gmoney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X.org server is just a branch of XFree86 just before they changed the license. It has some new features, bugfixes, and support for new video cards and the like but the X server you're probably thinking of the Freedesktop X server. That has all the bells and whistles but is a ways from being done. I don't think you'll want to use that as I don't believe nvidia or anyone else supports it very much. It does look promising though and I look forward to the day we have an X server with all of its features supported by Nvidia and crew.
nlightn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmoney wrote:
...the X server you're probably thinking of the Freedesktop X server. That has all the bells and whistles but is a ways from being done...

oops! I realized this right after I posted, but you beat me to the edit. I hope the freedesktop server is ready soon. I'll be damned if it ain't sexy as hell.
gmoney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I'm up too early today so I have nothing else to do but respond to posts. I'm definitely looking forward to full hardware acceleration for all my desktop eye candy. Between that and all the other fantastic projects going on at Freedesktop.org we're in for a great desktop experience in the near future (DBUS, HAL, etc...). I've been using pam_usb for my authentication for certain things. The lead developer is going to be working on dbus integration in the future so when you connect your usb token, you're logged in and ready to go. If you remove it, the screensaver automatically locks or whatever other action you want to have takes place. Integrate that with an X server which saves full session (running apps in memory, etc...) and you could walk around your corporate environment/computer lab and have everything follow you around. That would be nice, but is probably at least a year off.
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I always thought this screen was great, I haven't seen a high resolution screen like yours though. Maybe as long as I don't look at one I'll be happy :D

About replacing the screen though, if it's not overly expensive then put the new one in here and then use the old one for one of those back seat tv's for kids. I don't have any, but there's a good place to use it.

I'm not going to replace my notebook until some sort of liquid cooling for notebooks is figured out and better batteries come out. Those are really the only drawbacks of this notebook, it runs hot/loud and not long. I was worried about getting an HP, but I think the quality is great, I might get another HP when I get another notebook. That will be in a year or more, by that time maybe I can get an HP with linux on it instead of windows.

Thanx,
Stan
eslackey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have slowly been able to get most of my zd7010 working thanks to this thread.
I do however have a question reguarding vmware. Has anybody been able to get an internet connection in vmware while the laptop is connected to the internet using a wireless connection?
I have been trying to use NAT(because I heard that should be the easiest) with no luck.
Anybody have any tips for me?

Thanks.
Edweirdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslackey if you run the vmware-config.pl configuration script it tends to default to using eth0 for setting up nat and bridged networking. You can set up a new nat or a new bridged network on wlan0. The key is that you have to have the interface up and then run the vmware-config.pl script again and add a new virutal network using the wireless interface.

I don't know if that is clear enough. If it isn't let me know and maybe I can do a better job.
eslackey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. It worked perfectly, thanks for the help Edweirdo.
fastus eddius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: lm_sensors? Reply with quote

anybody able to get lm_sensors working with this hardware? i'd very much like to be able to determine my battery level; any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: lm sensors Reply with quote

I have not play to much with lm sensors, but you don't have to have lm-sensors to monitor the battery just enable the battery option under ACPI in the kernel. KDE is able to inform me of my battery status.

heath
GreenPea
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eslackey... I looked into that a while back with other notebooks and NATing a vmware session out over the wireless network connection is not well supported by VMware. If you dig real hard on the VMware documentation and news groups they will tell you that it is intentional due to security hacks and what not. It may have change reciently, but I worked at it for a while and could not get it. If you get it figured out, let us know.
GreenPea
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is a new one for the thread. I have a ZD7000 (US) and the docking station. when I have the Chicony wireless reciever plugged in for the mouse and keyboard, no other USB device works in vmware. Tried a Palm Treo and a usb memory stick. heck for that matter the memory stick does not work all that well even in linux. Can anyone point me to some helpful documentation or offer pointers? I am using linux-2.6.5-gentoo-r1 and have almost everything USB compiled into the kernel.

Thanks,
poet1493
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: new zd 7000 Reply with quote

i just got a new zd 7000, it has a p4 3.06 HT 128 nvidia geforce-fx-go-5700 a gig of ram and i just put gentoo on it it boots i can log in ang even become root but i cant get X to work i have tried useing the same config as u have but still nothing it actually locks up adn i ahve to hard boot it ctrl alt backspace doesnt even get me out i was wondering if i could get some help from u i have read all of this thread and still no luck please help
eslackey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenPea wrote:
eslackey... I looked into that a while back with other notebooks and NATing a vmware session out over the wireless network connection is not well supported by VMware. If you dig real hard on the VMware documentation and news groups they will tell you that it is intentional due to security hacks and what not. It may have change reciently, but I worked at it for a while and could not get it. If you get it figured out, let us know.

@GreenPea
I got NAT working by doing what Edweirdo suggested, I connected with my wireless card and then ran vmware-config.pl and after that the internet connection worked perfectly in vmware.
If I reboot I have to make sure I start the vmware init script and the connection works fine. My problem was that I didn't know I needed to start the init script(I didn't know it existed) before starting up vmware.

Hope this helps.
eslackey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenPea wrote:
Ok, here is a new one for the thread. I have a ZD7000 (US) and the docking station. when I have the Chicony wireless reciever plugged in for the mouse and keyboard, no other USB device works in vmware. Tried a Palm Treo and a usb memory stick. heck for that matter the memory stick does not work all that well even in linux. Can anyone point me to some helpful documentation or offer pointers? I am using linux-2.6.5-gentoo-r1 and have almost everything USB compiled into the kernel.

Thanks,

I have no clue how I fixed it but I couldn't get any of my USB devices to work in vmware using kernel version 2.6.3, ever since I upgraded to 2.6.7-mm-sources I have been able to use everything I have tried to(PDA, memory stick, cell phone)

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I really don't know what I changed in the upgrade.
eslackey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: new zd 7000 Reply with quote

poet1493 wrote:
i just got a new zd 7000, it has a p4 3.06 HT 128 nvidia geforce-fx-go-5700 a gig of ram and i just put gentoo on it it boots i can log in ang even become root but i cant get X to work i have tried useing the same config as u have but still nothing it actually locks up adn i ahve to hard boot it ctrl alt backspace doesnt even get me out i was wondering if i could get some help from u i have read all of this thread and still no luck please help

Are you using the nvidia drivers?
Code:
emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx

The config should work if you are using the nvidia driver.
nlightn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any luck with the new 61.06 nvidia drivers? I can see the mouse cursor in X for about half a second, then it crashes back to console. It also makes my screen sort of a bluish tinted color (looks like the monitor is busted), but when I reboot the problem disappears. I had to revert back to 53.56 for now.
eslackey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schbond wrote:
Has anyone had any luck with the new 61.06 nvidia drivers? I can see the mouse cursor in X for about half a second, then it crashes back to console. It also makes my screen sort of a bluish tinted color (looks like the monitor is busted), but when I reboot the problem disappears. I had to revert back to 53.56 for now.

I had no problems upgrading to the new drivers.
eslackey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering what kinds of FPS everyone is getting with glxgears.

Mine seem kind of low.

Code:
eslackey@laptop eslackey $ glxgears
3012 frames in 5.0 seconds = 602.400 FPS
3107 frames in 5.0 seconds = 621.400 FPS
3121 frames in 5.0 seconds = 624.200 FPS
3108 frames in 5.0 seconds = 621.600 FPS
3082 frames in 5.0 seconds = 616.400 FPS
3104 frames in 5.0 seconds = 620.800 FPS
3121 frames in 5.0 seconds = 624.200 FPS
3107 frames in 5.0 seconds = 621.400 FPS
3120 frames in 5.0 seconds = 624.000 FPS
3080 frames in 5.0 seconds = 616.000 FPS

eslackey@laptop eslackey $

I would expect to be up in the 1000s. Is this low or is it what everybody is getting?
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you don't have something configured right. Here is mine:
Code:

cerebro-hp hholcomb $ glxgears
14488 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2897.600 FPS
17413 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3482.600 FPS
17407 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3481.400 FPS
17183 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3436.600 FPS
17403 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3480.600 FPS

heath holcomb
xcable
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: