View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masterbrian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: control center Reply with quote

masterbrian wrote:
reinstall with add of artswrappersuid in USE flags.

If it does not work (compile take a while :)) I will try your way ;)

Tryed, with that flags the system was so slow, I've deleted and reinstalled again.
The problem could be the /dev/rtc not readable by the user (only root). This can explain why you have problem with xmms, only as user...
masterbrian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: masked Reply with quote

xcable wrote:
Code:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.2.ebuild

heath

After an emerge sync I've tryed and I got:

>>> Updating Portage cache... ...done!

# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.2.ebuild
Calculating dependencies \!!! aux_get(): ebuild for '/gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.2' does not exist at:
!!! /usr/portage//gentoo-dev-sources/gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.2.ebuild
emerge: create(): aux_get() error on /gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.2; aborting...

:)
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: cd Reply with quote

Go to the directory that contains that e-build then type in that command.

Code:

cd /usr/portage/sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources

heath
masterbrian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: cd Reply with quote

xcable wrote:
Go to the directory that contains that e-build then type in that command.heath

Thank you,
it work like a charm

You have setup your gentoo to use alsa as default? I'm having problem with some apps, like mplayer, live, enemy-territory or unreal2004, they seems to does not use alsa.. :(

Can you post please your /etc/modules.conf and any other interesting files?

Last edited by masterbrian on Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: sound Reply with quote

This laptop uses the intel 8x0 audio chip which has no hardware mixer (only one sound steam can use it a one time). If run KDE, arts takes control over this. Everything must go through arts (mplayer can be configured to use arts output). Games only have sound running as root, I have not figured out that problem yet (and have not figured out how they work with out going through arts????). I play ut2004-demo and as root I have sound with no problem.

heath
masterbrian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, as root ut2004 sounds work good, but enemy-territory still mute... :(
For mplayer you was right too (thank you again ;))

did you succesfull emerge live on your distro?
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: no Reply with quote

no
masterbrian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: modem Reply with quote

Hi Xcable :)

In the work list modem does not appeare. You are able to manage it work?

Thank you.
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: broadband only Reply with quote

I don't have a hardline (copper telephone line) only broadband. I have not explored the compatability of the internal modem.

heath
masterbrian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm still bordering you, but what midi device are you using in your configuration?
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: none Reply with quote

none

have not enable/tried any midi device

heath
davidgp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks for the help.... my gentoo installation was quite painless in my zd7050ea....

I need to use a wireless card, but I don't want to buy a new one when I already have one integrated with my computer. I tested the ndiswrapper with no luck... the kernel sees the wireless card... but iwconfig cann't make use of it... I tried to do it with SMP activated to make use of the HT of my processor, so I think there is the problem...

Actuallly I'm using my wireless card using linuxant wrapper, and seems to work very well... I'm using my wireless card at 54g without problem... the problem will be when my trial license of linuxant caducates in 30 days.... well I hope that the ndiswrapper solve its SMP incompability problem soon... so I can use it instead of buying a license of linuxant...

Davidgp
davidgp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: anyone knows if it is possible to use the integrated volumen controls of the keyboard??

David GP
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: no Reply with quote

no, it's not

Bug HP about not haveing Linux support. Maybe with enough interest from users they will start to support Linux.

heath
davidgp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... two things... I got ndiswrapper to work and the volume keys too... but well... step by step...

I downloaded the last version of ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/). The 0.6 one (this version solves they problems with smp processors)... installed following the instructions in the INSTALL file and worked quite well... my only problem was the comunication with the router.... but a guy in the mailing list of that project gave me the clue to solve it... you need to download one of the windows drivers of the Broadcomm wireless card...

My problem was to connect to my router that uses essid and wep key of 128 bits... with this line iwconfig finds it without problems:

Code:

iwconfig wlan0 essid MY_ESSID key open s:MY_ASCII_KEY
dhcpd wlan0

In the case of the volume keys... I got them work thanks to an ACER forum here... in these forum they use the program: xev to see what codes generate the volume keys... and them... you create a file with these lines:

Code:

keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute

I call that file Xmodmap... then using the next command line

Code:

/usr/bin/X11/xmodmap /route_to_the_file/Xmodmap

you can use the keys without problem... well... in my case... if you have kde... I don't know with other windows managers... with kde 3.2.0 automatically uses that keys to up or down the volume or mute or unmute...

You can create a .xsession file to automatically load that keys

Code:

bash$ vi .xsession
   exec /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap &

in that forum they talk more about how to configure it in others windows managers... this is the link in case you want to check it: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=129853

The Wireless buttom seems to work without problem doing nothing... it must work throught hardware... the other two buttoms I didn't test yest... I don't use too much under windows either... so... I'm not in a hurry to configure them...

David GP
davidgp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot... the only thing I didn't get to work yet is the card media reader... I'm not using it anyway... but in the future... I maybe buy a digital camera... so it will become useful... if anyone has any clue how to make it work... please... tell me...

David GP
masterbrian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: infrared port Reply with quote

Greetings,

are you able to make ir-port (the builtin one) work?

BTW, thank you very much for volume control over keyboard! I love it ;)

Thanks
davidgp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't try to make the infrared port work... I don't have any other infrared device... so it is quite unuseful to me right now... it is like the internal modem... I don't use it either... so I didn't worry to test it... maybe when I change my mobile phone I will need the infrared port... Maybe other users of this laptop can help you...

David GP
masterbrian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will try to find how make infrared work :)

BTW, with ndiswrapper, are you able to make working airtraf? I've registered driverloader, it work quite well, but support only channel betweend 1 and 11 and have some limit. I would like to know the differences from ndiswrapper and driverloader
davidgp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm... by airtraf I don't know exactly what that is... my wireless knowlage is very basic... well... the main difference between driverloader and ndiswrapper is that the first option is comercial and ndiswrapper is gnu. I use the two modules without any problem and the two seems to get my max speed to the broadcom wireless card of my laptop (well, ndiswrapper has a issue, don't puss the wireless button when the module is active in the kernel or your screen will freeze).

Ndiswrapper is in development state so there are still things to fix... for example, the wierless button or that some status programs doesn't work well with it (for example kwlaninfo doesn't seems to work ok). Anyway... except for that two problems the version 0.6 works like a charm and it is gnu. In the other hand, driveloader seems to be finished...

About your airtraf problem... you can join the ndiswrapper e-mail list and they will solve your questions quickly.

David GP
davidgp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... reading the faq of ndiswrapper I found your answer for airtraf... check there...

David GP
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: sweet Reply with quote

SWEET!!! My audio buttons now work. I will edit the main post to include a new section dealing with the audio control buttons (up, down, and mute). I will be sure to give davidgp (David GP) credit.

heath
Edweirdo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my build-in wireless broadcom BC94306 802.11g (rev 02) up with the 802.11b network at work using the ndiswrapper from CVS. I am so happy! The only thing left is that digial media slot.

I also managed to update the BIOS on my zd7058cl. This was fun because the flash updater only runs on windows and I don't have windows on my computer. Read about how I did it here if you need to do the same thing.
davidgp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I read about it... it is a really nice trick thanks...

The only problem that I have with ndiswrapper is that I cann't push the wireless on/off button of the computer if I have the ndiswrapper module loaded coz my keyboard freezes...

Yeah... I gave up in the multimedia slot... that isn't supported yet under linux...

David GP
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering, I haven't tried yet, if anyone has gotten lirc to work on this notebook? When I ordered I noticed that you could get the MS media edition that came with a remote. Is the ir receiver in the notebook or does it only come with the media edition? I just ordered a lirc receiver for my desktop from http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/?partType=section&partName=buy and thought it would be cool if I could use a remote on my notebook too. No serial connection on the ZD7000 however, so it would have to be in the notebook. Is it there just needing software to get it to work?

Thanx,
Stan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: