View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: GNOME XDMCP not working Reply with quote

I want to log in to a GNOME desktop running on a headless VirtualBox instance. I obtained the GNOME instance by cloning a working KDE installation so I believe that connectivity to the instance is correct. I am a newcomer to GNOME --- trying it for the first time. AFAICT, the GNOME configuration mechanism has changed from time to time, therefore my settings will contain some redundancy and anachronisms. So:
/etc/gdm/custom.conf:
# GDM configuration storage

[daemon]

[security]
DisallowTCP=false
PamStack=gdm-2.60

[xdmcp]
Enable=true

[servers]
0=disabled

[greeter]

[chooser]

[debug]
/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess:
*                        #any host can get a login window
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:
!DisplayManager.requestPort=0

Then in the various /etc/pam.d/gdm-* files, wherever there is a line including system-local-login, added a duplicate but with system-remote-login instead. Rebooted but although local login works (through RDP), remote via XDMCP doesn't. As I mentioned, the GNOME VM is a clone of a KDE-based machine in which remote login is working. Any ideas ?
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Are you using kdm or gnome gdm login manager? Reply with quote

You mentioned that you are running a clone of KDE but want to use a gnome session. Are you running gdm or kdm for the login manager part? You can do either one since both will allow you to use either session type if both desktops are installed. However you may be possibly hacking on the gdm config file when kdm is actually the login manager that is still running. Hack on /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc instead to manually enable xdmcp in it. The "login screen" settings in KDE's "system settings" applet doesn't directly let you enable/disable that.

Also note that as gnome3 continues to "streamline" the desktop experience, they are cutting all sorts of useful stuff out of the system. When I harden a RHEL6 or Centos6 box now, I insist on installation of all KDE packages including kdm so I can install login warning banners and enforce mandatory screen saving/locking.
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Are you using kdm or gnome gdm login manager? Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I removed all the KDE packages from the clone with emerge -C and emerge --depclean, so ended-up with a desktopless system, then installed gnome.

/etc/conf.d/xdm has DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm" and gdm is running locally (visible via RDP) so GNOME is basically there; it's just the remote/XDMCP bit that's not working.

I'm aware that one of the policies/features/problems of GNOME is that the designers are stripping it back and changing the way things are done with each release.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: docs seem to be lacking on all this Reply with quote

just took a quick look but it appears that they are also "streamlining" the comments in that conf file. Wouldn't be surprised if they silently dropped out the option. The only other hits I got was debian apparently has a gdm3 daemon conf file for it. Might be time to search the source code to see where it might be looking for an xdmcp stanza or not.
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: docs seem to be lacking on this Reply with quote

Yes; there is plenty of information on the interwebs, but it seems to be out of date and the mechanism has changed frequently. There is
/etc/gdm/custom.conf:
[servers]
0=disabled
but /var/log/Xorg.0.log is still created, so I don't even know where to fiddle around. :?

Do I really have to examine the source for this ? Surely not ?

OBTW:
Code:
# netstat -tapun|grep gdm
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:177             0.0.0.0:*                           18807/gdm

Later: [debug] Enable=True does work so I'm digging through /var/log/messages now.
psofa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will only add that i had a similar configuration (virtualbox connecting to a real desktop via xdmcp) working for quite some time and recently it broke after updating gnome.I didn't bother and switched to lightdm....
mounty1
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Not looking good Reply with quote

Yeah, looks like I'm going to back-burner this one. There's nothing in the logs that says why the %$^& gdm appears not to be doing anything like it's supposed to be; e.g., from where does it now take its configuration data. It seems to me that the GNOME people are constantly fiddling and twiddling, and not documenting their efforts. I thought that was a KDE problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: