View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: KDE Netbook Expose Black Reply with quote

I managed to setup a Gentoo binary install on my netbook optimized for the atom processor. Everything works perfectly except for one catch. When there are multiple windows opened in expose, the screen is black . Individual windows will appear normal if I roll the cursor over them, then go black once the cursor is moved off the windows for each app. Any clues what might cause this?
papapenguin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, I had a similar issue related to nvidia drivers...please take a look here...I'm not sure why it began working again, but it did...it may have had something to do with my video memory, but I don't really know...
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-895602-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-papapenguin+black.html
------------------------
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be onto something here and I appreciate the hint.

I read the post you linked here. It could well be a video memory issue. This netbook has the Intel video chip. Checking the BIOS shows only 8MB of memory used for video, out of a total of 2048MB. Unfortunately, the amount of memory used for video can not be changed in the BIOS. I have tried other distros on this netbook and did not have this issue. This makes me wonder if perhaps there is a setting in the kernel which could be adjusted for video memory.
papapenguin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does...look here
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-config.xml
------------------------
anyNiXwilldo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all of those set in the kernel config, at least as far as memory. Since this is the first Intel I ever bought in my life, I followed the Gentoo Wiki as far as the kernel config for the intel video chip, but started fresh with Pappy's kernel seed.

I am wondering if this may be related to the binaries, which were all compiiled on an AMD quad-core, although set to build -march=atom -Os. I have compiled xorg-server on the netbook itself, to see if that might make a difference. Additionally, portage isn't handling the kernel. I download the libre kernel, apply the ck-patches, then build and install. I don't think this would cause an issue since the Intel video drivers are liberated anyway & Parabola, Trisquel and Wheezy all include a liberated kernel by default and none had this issue. This is just such a bizarre issue to track down and I have no idea what could be causing it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: