flash and colors [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: flash and colors [solved] Reply with quote

Another one in the "this is one of the strangest things I have ever seen" category.

Upgrading adobe-flash is usually automatic due to the frequent security issues. Today, I upgraded from 11.2.202.280 to 11.2.202.285 - and I wish I hadn't.

On sites that use flash for video (mostly likely the main reason it is used), the colors are now all wrong (like a badly adjusted television from the 1960s). People are literally blue (it seems that most of the reds and blues are reversed), and every other color is wrong, too.

I tried downgrading back to 11.2.202.280, but that didn't fix it.

I am using kde (4.10.2) and opera (12.15_p1748) with an nvidia card (using nvidia-drivers-313.30).

If I download the video files, the colors are correct using an external media player.

Also (and I have only tested this on youtube, because I don't know any other places to test it), if I turned off plugins (playing the video in the browser via html 5), then the colors were correct, as well (and turning flash back on for the same video makes everybody blue again).

I am wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this before or might have any idea as to what is going on, and (even more important) how to resolve the problem. I can't think of some setting somewhere that would affect this, but perhaps there is something obscure that don't know about.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by curmudgeon on Sat May 18, 2013 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Christian99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, already seen that, but that's a few years ago. It was something about the hardware acceleration for the flash plugin.
Unfortunately I don't know what exactly to do, but I think shutting off hardware acceleration for the affected videos helps. (somewhere in the right-click menu)
If not, try googling it. that wasn't as uncommon as you might think...
KLarsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem too in the past, try rebuilding flash with or without vdpau support, if I'm not mistaken this solves it.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi curmudgeon,
Just checked:
I'm running kde-4.10.3 and firefox-20.0.1 same flash as yours: no problem.
I tried with and without LinuxHWVideoDecode no difference.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian99 wrote:
I think shutting off hardware acceleration for the affected videos helps. (somewhere in the right-click menu)

Found that and it worked.

Weird that such a regression would pop up after working correctly for so long. Maybe they will get it fixed eventually.

Thanks.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon wrote:
Weird that such a regression would pop up after working correctly for so long. Maybe they will get it fixed eventually.
Very unlikely it will ever get fixed. flash won't be receiving any more updates, other than security updates, afaik.
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Very unlikely it will ever get fixed. flash won't be receiving any more updates, other than security updates, afaik.

I heard something about that. Is that just for linux or windoze, too? If web sites would just stop using it, it would probably disappear rather quickly (and few things in the world of computing would please me more).
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curmudgeon wrote:
ppurka wrote:

I heard something about that. Is that just for linux or windoze, too? If web sites would just stop using it, it would probably disappear rather quickly (and few things in the world of computing would please me more).
I think it is only for linux. They never had the competence to provide a decent linux plugin anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: