Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why does it seem that xorg is expecting USE="suid" now?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Why does it seem that xorg is expecting USE="suid" Reply with quote

So... a while ago I upgraded xorg-server and found that there's a USE flag "suid" that seems to be turned on by default, even though the description says that it brings along potential for security vulnerability. Well, sure... suid, duh.

Well, I thought, I don't need that, so I merged without it. Next thing I find is that xorg can't write its log files in /var/log, for permissions reasons, and I can't find a simple way around this, so I (perhaps stupidly) turned suid back on, remerged, and went happily about my life.

On the latest upgrade I was reminded of this, tried the above again (-suid) and have the same problem.

Can someone tell me why such a potentially major security hole seems to be being forced on people? OK, so it's really not "forced", but for this to be the expected mode of operation of X seems really, really suspicious to me. I don't even know why anyone would want their X server to run suid, although I'm sure there's a fringe of users who need this feature. Certainly not the average user, no?

Has anyone found a simple workaround? I thought, if I change the group that owns /var/log, to a group that I can reasonably belong to (currently owner is root:root), and then set 'w' for group, that should fix the log problem. But I don't know what would be a good choice of group to own /var/log. I want to stick to "best practices".

Any advice highly appreciated. I really want to go to -suid for xorg.... do not like running this way. Thanks.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you have X suid or not, it will run as root. And everything running as root is potentially a bigger security threat than something not running as root. That's all there is to it. There's no inherent "OMG I'm in serious danger!!!" aspect about it, no direct security hole, X has been running as root since forever.

BTW, in the past, Gentoo always installed X as suid. Now you have the choice to not have it suid. This works when you use a display manager (gdm, kdm, ...) to launch it. If you launch it with startx, it needs to be suid. But, like I said, in both cases it'll run as root. It has to do with input handling. Right now, if you want X to not run as root, you have to give all users access to input device nodes, but that means users can spy on each other's input, which is of course crazy. Solving that problem requires the kernel to implement revoke(), but the few attempts to implement it failed.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punchcutter ...

rather than suid you might use "capabilities" (posix 1003.1e-type capabilities):

Code:
# setcap cap_chown,cap_dac_override,cap_sys_rawio,cap_sys_admin+ep /usr/bin/Xorg

See 'man capabilities' ... also, you will need sys-libs/libcap for the setcap/getcap executables.

best ... khay
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does it seem that xorg is expecting USE="suid&q Reply with quote

Punchcutter wrote:
Can someone tell me why such a potentially major security hole seems to be being forced on people?

X needs access to various hardware, which implies root. This has been the case since the 1980s.

The work to make it run without root has been going on for the better part of a decade but isn't yet finished. Until that work becomes available in a stable version, or unless you're helping to develop it, you should continue to use it as you always have done - i.e. leave that USE flag untouched.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
Code:
# setcap cap_chown,cap_dac_override,cap_sys_rawio,cap_sys_admin+ep /usr/bin/Xorg

Tanks for the info. I never tried which capabilities are needed for X.
May I suggest that you open a bug for supporting this with USE=caps in xorg-server?
I suppose many people would like to have this set automatically even if it is not so much different from SUID.
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does it seem that xorg is expecting USE="suid&a Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
The work to make it run without root has been going on for the better part of a decade but isn't yet finished. Until that work becomes available in a stable version, or unless you're helping to develop it, you should continue to use it as you always have done - i.e. leave that USE flag untouched.

I thought it was possible since KMS... what's left in X that must have root access?
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does it seem that xorg is expecting USE="suid&a Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
what's left in X that must have root access?

I mentioned it in my post above - input stuff.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
May I suggest that you open a bug for supporting this with USE=caps in xorg-server?
I suppose many people would like to have this set automatically even if it is not so much different from SUID.

mv ... I seem to remember there being one already open but all I can find is bug #450364 in which this would seem to fall under comment 2. Also, the fcaps.eclass (see: bug #460810 and bug #364487) has issues that I think are in part why there isn't wider support for caps.

best ... khay
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation and discussion, everyone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: