Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Understanding and installing SVN server.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lea0014
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Understanding and installing SVN server. Reply with quote

Hi there,

few days ago, some friends and i decided to develop software (small one), and i was thinking that the best way to organize the code is managing it with a SVN server. So i installed a subversion and xinetd server and started to learn how to use and admin a svn server (i've never did that before). The server is running on a small box, and i created there a new repository called "projects". Now is when i need some explanations: what is and how exactly works a repository? and what's the diference between a repository and a project?.

This is the dir structure:

Code:
projects # pwd
/home/svn/projects
projects # ls -a
.  ..  README.txt  conf  db  format  hooks  locks

I created a test project and imported to the svn server
Code:
svn import -m "Initial import" svntest/ svn://user@192.168.1.110/projects/

but i can't find project files under /home/svn/projects. Is this normal? The project files are stored in some kind of db? Where?

Now let's say that i'm working on two or more projects. Just need one repository? Is this the way?
Code:
svn import -m "Initial import" svntest1/ svn://user@192.168.1.110/projects/
svn import -m "Initial import" svntest2/ svn://user@192.168.1.110/projects/
svn import -m "Initial import" svntest3/ svn://user@192.168.1.110/projects/

Ty for reading.
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you want to use Subversion? Many modern projects are created on DVCS such as Git or Mercurial. Although they have a higher learning curve, they tend to offer features that are difficult to provide in a centralized VCS like Subversion.

A repository is a collection of all the versions of the software that have ever been committed. Yes, it is normal for Subversion to store the imported files in a database. The free online documentation for Subversion is an excellent starting place if you want to stick with Subversion.
lea0014
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, im not sure. Well, i thought that svn works the same way that git, but it looks like no. This whole thing is intended to be didactic (we are are students), we want to learn a few tools for develop projects. Eventually, new students can join us and collaborate with some code, and then leave the group; that's why svn was my first choice. With this in mind, do you think that git or mercurial is a better option?
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of those three can serve your purposes. If you intend to develop software long term, then I think it would be helpful for you to know Git. You may or may not want to spend the time to learn it in the next few months, but you should try to learn at least one DVCS at some point.

The advantage of a DVCS is that you can very easily have provisional contributors, who write patches that are sent to full contributors for a commit/reject decision.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with git, use either github or something like gitolite to manage your own repo's
lea0014
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, emerging gitolite. Thanks for your time!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: