backup software [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: backup software [solved] Reply with quote

Hello all,

I could use some recommendation, I have a server and three windows machines, I'm looking for a backup sw that will allow me to backups folders remotely and locally. I'd like also the ability to define sets of folders and the backup frequency and update frequency for them.

actually I was planing to use crashplan per recommendation of a friend of mine but he neglected to mention that most of the features I need aren't in the free version.

Thanks.

Last edited by DaggyStyle on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Vorlon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are 2 alternatives:

1) Have your users use the fileservers as their "my documents" folder. Then simply backup the server disk.
2) Run cwRsync (the windows version of the rsync program) on the windows machines and rsync their files on a regular basis. http://www.rsync.net/resources/howto/windows_rsync.html

BTW, I do option #1.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vorlon wrote:
Here are 2 alternatives:

1) Have your users use the fileservers as their "my documents" folder. Then simply backup the server disk.
2) Run cwRsync (the windows version of the rsync program) on the windows machines and rsync their files on a regular basis. http://www.rsync.net/resources/howto/windows_rsync.html

BTW, I do option #1.

two out of my users uses portable devices, so option #1 is not good.
rsync doesn't gives me what I need, I need to implement it with wrappers and folders.
anyone tried AMANDA or BackupPC? are they any good?
bbgermany
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use Amanda for backup my server. But up to now, i wasnt able to test the "windows" client for amanda. I have setup mhvtl for "tapes" on an external hdd of the server. Runs perfectly and i can recommend this.

bb
Server #1: Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G, 64GB, 16.5TB
Server #2: Ryzen 4800H, 32GB, 22TB
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbgermany wrote:
Hi,

I use Amanda for backup my server. But up to now, i wasnt able to test the "windows" client for amanda. I have setup mhvtl for "tapes" on an external hdd of the server. Runs perfectly and i can recommend this.

bb

thanks for the tip, I'll look into that.

also it seems that bacula may hold everything I need.
bbgermany
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

np. I tried bacula as well, but the configuration was more a pain then in amanda... ;)

bb
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbgermany wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

np. I tried bacula as well, but the configuration was more a pain then in amanda... ;)

bb

question is does amanda supports the ability to define sets of folders and the backup frequency and update frequency for them including type of backup(full, incremental and diff)?

also, from what I understand, amanda supports remote backup using non client protocol, how does that fairs when it comes to live or frequent backup?
for some reason, mounting a user's doc using cifs requires sharing that folder and I don't think it is a good idea to share that folder.
bbgermany
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm note quite sure, whether it does support all the stuff you need. I would suggest to checkout the documentation in this case. I didn't run into amanda this deep to answer this for you. Mainly i do local backups with amanda of a few directories. And this runs every day.

bb
Rasmus Rummel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbgermany wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

bb

Our company have used Bacula for about 3 years taking backup of both windows and linux servers both in our datacenter and in our office. We have been hacked multiple times and customers have often wrongly overwritten data and therefore we have often needed to restore data, which is very reliable and very fast with Bacula - we have recovered from total disaster more than once. While I don't use the Bacula GUI tools myself, I understand that if you use Amanda and want to use GUI, then you need to pay for it.

I agree with bbgermany that Bacula have a steep learning curve then it comes to configuration, however then you get it right, Bacula is a joy to work with. To help I have written a Bacula tutorial, http://webmodelling.com/webbits/miscellaneous/bacula.aspx, that will hold your hand step by step guiding you through the configuration of Bacula.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using rsnapshot. It can support Windows.
imaginasys
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that if you have an active database on your windows machine, your backup will not be good (for the database).
You'd need a specialized agent for that (sqlserver/oracle/mysql/postgress/...). It would handle the database log and the database to keep everything in sync.

Same if you have a domain controller, an AD, a mail server, ... and the list goes on.

You could only have a good backup if you stop any services related to the database or any other software that is writing at the same time you are taking your backup.

Just my 0,02 cents about it.

Regards,
BT

:mrgreen:
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasmus Rummel wrote:
bbgermany wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

bb

Our company have used Bacula for about 3 years taking backup of both windows and linux servers both in our datacenter and in our office. We have been hacked multiple times and customers have often wrongly overwritten data and therefore we have often needed to restore data, which is very reliable and very fast with Bacula - we have recovered from total disaster more than once. While I don't use the Bacula GUI tools myself, I understand that if you use Amanda and want to use GUI, then you need to pay for it.

I agree with bbgermany that Bacula have a steep learning curve then it comes to configuration, however then you get it right, Bacula is a joy to work with. To help I have written a Bacula tutorial, http://webmodelling.com/webbits/miscellaneous/bacula.aspx, that will hold your hand step by step guiding you through the configuration of Bacula.

thanks! I'll look into it
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to go with backuppc and it works great, thanks for the help all.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: