Geeks vs Monsanto
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Geeks vs Monsanto Reply with quote

Say hello to Buycott, a clever little app that scans the barcode on the items you want to buy, and looks it up in the database. It checks the manufacturer, owner, owners owner, etc etc, and cross-checks all that against the campaigns you have joined, like "Say No to GMO food".

Cool as fuck. 8)
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be curious as to how much of the store would be off-limits if one were to do that.
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the corporate police state USA stores can ban anything and anyone. The People are used to that kind of shit and expect it. Oh, LOL USA

Fucking arseholes Monsanto.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In corporate USA, Monsanto eats you!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Cool as fuck. 8)
++

Bigun wrote:
I would be curious as to how much of the store would be off-limits if one were to do that.
Depends on how many "campigns" you've joined. Some may discover certain causes are no longer as important to them as they once claimed. OTOH, it could be used to find alternatives. "If you wanted this you may use that instead."

wildhorse wrote:
stores can ban anything and anyone.
They can't ban you from using the app, but they could ask you to leave, which also solves the problem. In reality, most stores are going to want to sell the items customers want to buy. This just changes what's in their inventory.

genstorm wrote:
In corporate USA, Monsanto eats you!
:lol:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided the "campaigns" and database are public and open, then this is the free market at work, and a good thing. We need more of this and less of "Angry Birds". A company losing sales because they are not socially responsible is 100% free market action.

I'm a little bit cautious, however, given that the app was originally conceived of by a politician as a means to boycott anyone supporting the rival political party. Unless the data are publicly governed, this would be nothing but another form of populist lemming herding, disguised as "choice". ("Choose which of these alternative flavors you prefer of some politician telling you what to think and do.")
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Provided the "campaigns" and database are public and open, then this is the free market at work, and a good thing. We need more of this and less of "Angry Birds". A company losing sales because they are not socially responsible is 100% free market action.

I'm a little bit cautious, however, given that the app was originally conceived of by a politician as a means to boycott anyone supporting the rival political party. Unless the data are publicly governed, this would be nothing but another form of populist lemming herding, disguised as "choice". ("Choose which of these alternative flavors you prefer of some politician telling you what to think and do.")

Good point. The little bit of information flow that I can see is crowd-sourced, as you can enter new products that are not already in the database. I mean this could be the one evolutionary, free-market thing that is needed right now.
If all of our political structures are irrelevant and obsolete, as they are bought by the corporations and all they do is protect the same corporations, and if the election process is a proof that the game is rigged, then the intelligent response is to go around it and not give a fuck.
Simply don't buy their shit. Let them grease Obama and alike for all I care. Fuck the retard and his big ears and fake grins.
Like grass, grow around the obstacle. Be like water as Bruce Lee used to say ^^
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what would be funny? Put a "Boycott Made in China" in there, and watch people try to shop without buying anything from China.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
You know what would be funny? Put a "Boycott Made in China" in there, and watch people try to shop without buying anything from China.
:lol:
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Hahaha. Naked people walking down the street eating localy produced tomatoes. :lol:
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

It's actually really easy.

Step 1 : Marry a Japanese woman who refuses to let any money go directly to China.
Step 2 : ???
Step 3 : Profit!

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of clothes here are now made in the US, so I wonder how long it's going to be before a third world country starts up sweatshops there...I suppose they already have to a greater or lesser degree.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you remember this (likely not unless you have a child of the appropriate age), but there was an infant formula scare about 4 years ago, where several babies in china died of kidney failure. They found out that a company was putting titanium in formula to make it white. Anyway, it didn't affect us, but we were on an anti china kick. So, we went to an very upscale toy shop looking for toys not made in china. most of the toys were from german and european companies making fancy toys. How many were manufactured outside of China? Zero. In the whole shop, not a one.

Incidentally they found, captured, tried and executed someone for the incident in about 10 days (!).

It really is hard to find stuff not made in China. Might be a bit better now.
o'bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was melamine.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
I don't know if you remember this (likely not unless you have a child of the appropriate age), but there was an infant formula scare about 4 years ago, where several babies in china died of kidney failure. They found out that a company was putting titanium in formula to make it white. Anyway, it didn't affect us, but we were on an anti china kick. So, we went to an very upscale toy shop looking for toys not made in china. most of the toys were from german and european companies making fancy toys. How many were manufactured outside of China? Zero. In the whole shop, not a one.

Incidentally they found, captured, tried and executed someone for the incident in about 10 days (!).

It really is hard to find stuff not made in China. Might be a bit better now.

Every year there are toys with lead-based paint and other toxic shit coming out of China. It makes one wonder if maybe the plunging academic achievement levels in the U.S. aren't due to something intentional, rather than simply too much Xbox, constant mindless texting, too much fast food, soda, and sweetened breakfast cereal, airhead Disney shows and other mind-rotting television, and over-indulgent parents.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogamol wrote:
It was melamine.

Melamine, titanium; close enough. You know what he meant. Some kind of stuff.

It wasn't to make it white. It's to make cheap filler ingredients appear to be protein-rich, in tests performed on the product. The problem was (and possibly still is) widespread among plant protein products, most noticed outside of China in animal feed. It was also a problem with dairy protein products, including baby formula.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_protein_adulteration
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Hahaha. Naked people walking down the street eating localy produced tomatoes. :lol:
Clothing is pretty easy, though you still have to read. Indonesia, Pakistan, Vietnam, Jordan. Those are just the top 4 I which come to mind. Probably Taiwan too.

Electronics are pretty difficult. Some other general household items as well. And that doesn't address components.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
bogamol wrote:
It was melamine.

Melamine, titanium; close enough. You know what he meant. Some kind of stuff.

It wasn't to make it white. It's to make cheap filler ingredients appear to be protein-rich, in tests performed on the product. The problem was (and possibly still is) widespread among plant protein products, most noticed outside of China in animal feed. It was also a problem with dairy protein products, including baby formula.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_protein_adulteration

it appears I got that shit wrong. Anyway, bad shit in milk -> made me not want to buy chinese. you get the idea.

lead is bad too. Funny, at the time we were living in Britain and the EU and the US didn't flag chinese toys. However, it was all over the canadian news that toys manufactured in china had heavy metals other than lead (all dangerous) in paints (particularly brightly painted wood toys). I didn't know what to think (are the canadians really on the ball more than the EU and the US? I didn't think so), but I kind of freaked out. My kids were forbidden from putting toys in their mouths, and it was rather hard to enforce. However, they got used to it and don't put things in their mouths. I guess a side benefit is that they aren't going to choke on toys, and that is one of the leading causes of death in kids.

It's hard though. You don't want to be a freaky parent that totally shelters kids, but chemicals are kind of bad. We are built to deal with bacteria in soil, not lead in food.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Canadians are more on the ball than the US or EU. That's why they belch clouds of asbestos dust downwind into Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire. That's why they ship asbestos and oil coke all over the world to 3rd-world countries. That's why they have the highest per-capita carbon footprint in the world. That's why they club baby seals, hunt whales, and toss dwarves.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: