Audio clipping removal
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Audio clipping removal Reply with quote

I have a very unprofessional recording here with severe clipping. Audacity Clip Fix cannot deal with it. Google found Postfish project, it won't build in current Gentoo system, before trying to fix it I'd like to know if there is something readily available?
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ (No-disrespect meant) are you sure it's "clipping" ? I mean did you clearly identify the symptoms of clipping on the waveforms under some tool like sonic-visualizer ?

2/ Do you pre/post-process with a high-pass filter ? could what you observe be high-pass clipping ?

3/ Are both channels clipped ?

4/ AFAIK, audacity comes with a clip reduction plugin based on cubic splines, but if you emerged audacity USE=+ladspa, there should be a LADSPA plugin with the same goal but working differently. Which one did you use ?

5/ What are your expectations ? (Of course you understand that no tool will restore the missing data)
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. :)

1. Yes, I'm sure. I worked as a sound engineer for 9+ years. I can differentiate clipping in analog equipment from clipping in digital. My ear is used to hear and identify all kind of distortions. Not a blessing really. I hear what normal people cannot hear and I cannot turn it off.
2. No pre/post-processing. This is a DVD of helicopter ride over Grand Canyon. After ride we were offered to purchase the DVD of our ride. Very crappy product. Video is poor as camera lens was dusty or something. Audio has severe digital clipping. The whole product is way below amateur level, yet the price was commercial.
3. Yes.
4. Thanks for ladspa tip, will check it out.
5. To soften it to a degree I can listen to it. Right now it is so bad I cannot tolerate it. I do know what's gone is gone. I'm not trying to restore the actual (natural) sound.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
I worked as a sound engineer for 9+ years... To soften it to a degree I can listen to it.

Hey! That looks like some sort of a challenge...
This being considered, I am afraid that you'll have to resort to commercial software.
CuteStudio SeeDeClip gave me the most acceptable results for piano recordings... (in times I was expecting all sorts of denoising practically possible... :roll: )
It gets at least the advantage of offering a Linux version and a demo version enabling you test it on 30 seconds of your real data. (scroll down the link above to download it)

As you depict your recording... maybe you can expect entering their Top 121 of Clipping Shame... :wink:
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Will download the demo and try it out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: