View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Unable to open or save files with any GTK app Reply with quote

GTK applications can create new text files, but can't save them and can't open existing text files.

My "desktop" is Icewm, started with "startx", but the same problem persists when using fvwm.

This is a new installation and I don't have many actual apps installed yet. The only Qt app installed is "Tea", which is a text-editor/file manager (doesn't use kde libraries). Tea works as expected. Also xterm and rxvt-unicode (neither uses GTK) work as expected.

The only GTK apps that are installed are Firefox, Geany, Bluefish, and Leafpad. Bluefish uses GTK3. Leafpad and Geany use GTK2. I didn't check to see what Firefox uses.

Firefox runs with no problems, but crashes (segmentation fault) as soon as I try to open a text file from disk. Bluefish, Geany, and Leafpad all start without any problems, but as soon as I try to open a file from disk or save a new file to disk, the applications crash with a segmentation fault. I would include terminal output (starting the applications from xterm), but I haven't yet figured out how to copy-paste with rxvt-unicode (this afternoon's project).

It's definitely GTK-related (that's why I installed Tea, to verify that Qt applications do work). It's not Icewm (that's why I installed fvwm). It's not just GTK2 (that's why I installed Bluefish).

I have a similar Gentoo installation on my laptop, except the laptop is 32-bits and uses the desktop multilibs profile. The laptop doesn't have any issues with GTK applications, they all work just fine.

On my 64-bit desktop (the installation with the GTK problem), I'm using the AMD-64 no-multilibs profile. I've tried various USE flags, making sure all the conceivably relevant flags on my laptop (same window manager, same applications, but no problems with GTK) are also enabled on my desktop. But no luck. GTK applications stubbornly refuse to work.

I was hoping some kind soul might know what the problem is. I've been chasing this issue around for two days now and I'm running out of things to try.

Elle

Last edited by ElleStone on Tue May 07, 2013 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the answer in the Gentoo forums: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7087324.html

When starting a GTK application from a terminal, the first line of the terminal output was "Glib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_vfs_get_file_for_path: assertion 'G_IS_VFS (vfs)' failed"

The solution was to rebuild glib without using the CFLAG link time optimization, "-flto".

And now my GTK applications work. Yeah!

Elle
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: