[solved] Portage Directory wiped out, profile symlink gone
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmeggahead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: [solved] Portage Directory wiped out, profile symlink gone Reply with quote

I just did an emerge --sync follow-up by a oneshot upgrade of portage and my profile symlink is gone.
eselect profile list fails:

Code:

!!! Error: Failed to get a list of valid profiles
exiting

for emerge --sync
Code:

>>> This is not a git repository. The folder is either empty or has other data.
Removing contents inside this folder...
>>> Starting initial git clone with rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage...
Cloning into 'portage'...

Welcome! This is a gentoo-portage and CentOS mirror, hosted by Steadfast Networks!

http://steadfast.net

Hostename:     mirror.steadfast.net & rsync11.us.gentoo.org
   IP Addresses:   208.100.4.53 & 2607:f128:1:3::2
   Bandwidth:       1000 Mbps
   Hardware:        Dual Opteron 2212, 8 GB RAM
   User Limit:       40

If you experience trouble with this mirror, please contact mirror@steadfast.net

rsync: link_stat "/refs" (in gentoo-portage) failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1518) [Receiver=3.0.9]
fatal: Could not run rsync to get refs
??? git clone error; exiting.

I remember being able to import a portage snapshot, but I don't have emerge-webrsync available.

I'm not sure that would fix the profile situation either.
I did bring in a funtoo-overlay and then subsequently removed it.
[/code]

Last edited by schmeggahead on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, stock Gentoo Portage does not use git over rsync as its emerge --sync mechanism. This appears to be lasting damage from playing around with Funtoo.
schmeggahead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer.

I guess I'll be doing a re-install.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to repair the existing installation by undoing whatever Funtoo did to it.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just download the snapshot by hand from the Gentoo Homepage and
- delete your portdir
- untar in that location: tar xaf FILE
And look, if you find where it is defined a git repository in /etc/portage

And why not Funtoo, just curiously asking?
schmeggahead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And why not Funtoo, just curiously asking?

well, it basically trashed my system when I added the overlay to laymen for starters.

The profile system in funtoo doesn't seem to be compatible with the gentoo portage profile setup.

I began to read about the way that funtoo handles profiles, but I really just wanted one of the packages available in the funtoo overlay. So I think I am better off repairing my current system and manually bringing in the ebuild for that package.

I did try the old way of untarring the portage snapshot and when as soon as I did an emerge --sync, it wiped out the directory.
I'll be doing some forensics on the installation before I leave the current install to the bit bucket. I'm not sure where to start to determine what has set my portage to be a git repository.

Meanwhile, i have setup a completely new boot for day to day.
Appreciate the perspective.

I might play with funtoo on a different experimental build. I'm playing with parallels and creating a virtual machine and being able to just restore has its own allure. Safe playground for the experimenter without centuries to study.

Quote:
You could try to repair the existing installation by undoing whatever Funtoo did to it.

My patience ain't what it used to be. When I created the current build, I didn't really properly setup the tracking and audit trails like I used to. So figuring out what was done and then figuring out how to repair it could be daunting. A reinstall is so fast with Gentoo. It makes it much easier than figuring out an apparently incompatible overlay.

I know to keep my data separate and backed up. Besides, installing new systems is fun and a great sense of accomplishment. And if you don't do it every so many months, it changes enough that the learning curve is there again. A big thank you to the handbook writers because there is always good information to guide us through.
archenroot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Same issue here with funtoo-overlay Reply with quote

My system was just fine, but after adding funtoo-overlay and emerge --sync same output appears. Just trying to get snapshot and see the result...

Update:
oki, after cleaning up whole /usr/portage which is my PORTDIR, I unpacked latest portage snapshot and reruned emerge --sync (with gpg) and everything looks just fine, now running emerge -vuDN @world and so far looks good...
schmeggahead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been unsuccessful in finding where the designation is for the git repository.

I believe that because I emerged portage under funtoo, there may be no way to revert back to the old setup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: