HDMI to TV in KDE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: HDMI to TV in KDE Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have a new laptop and I'm trying to make work everything. One of the last bastions of nonworkingness is the HDMI connector, to connect the laptop to a TV qnd watch videos.

The sound works, I only had to reorder the sound output and put the HDMI ones with a higher priority.

The video works, but with issues: The laptop screen 1366x768, and the TV is 1920x1080. I can put the TV as an extra screen with its own resolution, above, at the right, or anywhere with respect to the laptop screen, but then I lose parts of the desktop, which sometimes contains the taskbar or othr important things (e.g. if the TV is at the right of the laptop, I miss the bottom left part of the desktop, with have the "start menu"). Even worse, if I ignore this and try to watch the video anyway, if I put the video player (smplayer or vlc) in the TV part of the desktop and maximize it, it won't fill the whole TV, but something between the TV and the laptop.

I can also try to clone the screen, but then the laptop screen puts itself into 1920x1080 resolution, missing part of the desktop (I can only see the bottom left 1366x768 of the 1920x1080 desktop). In this case the TV works, I can maximize the video player and everything, but when I disconnect the HDMI connector, the laptop screen won't come back to its original resolution. I have to logout so kdm can reset the resolution, but I can't logout because I can't see the "start menu", so I have to use a terminal and restart xdm.

Anyway, for me, the ideal solution would be to output the video and audio shown in the player through HDMI, so I can keep a desktop in the laptop. Just like in windows, where you can output the powerpoint presentations with one of those laptop Fn keys, but keep the PP working space so you can see the notes and stuff.

I don't know if I have made my problem clear, but any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I forgot the important stuff: I'm using kde 4.10.2, and the program I use to configure this things is the system settings modulefor this, which I think it's called "kephal" and AFAIK it's just a frontend for XrandR. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15r 5521, with an integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics card, which is the only videocard present.
sebB
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have enable the xinerama use?
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebB wrote:
Do you have enable the xinerama use?

I thought it was deprecated in favour of xrandr.
sebB
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has solved the problem for me

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934226-highlight-.html
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't answer before since I don't have access to the HDMI TV anytime I want. I any case, that didn't work, everything works as before.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: