View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kahrkunne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: [solve] How to remove everything in kde-meta Reply with quote

I did changed /etc/env.d/90xsession so it says XSESSION="KDE-4"
Rebooted, did startx
KDE didn't start.
Also, is there any way how I can completely remove kde-meta (so that I can install kdebase-meta instead)?
EDIT: Also, where is the sudoers file again? might as well ask.

EDIT2: Did startx again to show a friend what happens if you startx without a DE.
(Read: to show my mom what a 1337 h4xx0r I am)
Didn't work. It instead booted me into KDE! So that's good. However it doesn't quite look right - It's all very whiteand the screen resolution looks wrong? How do I fix that?
And I still want to know if there is any way to completely remove everything that's in kde-meta.

EDIT: Trying to unmerge kde-meta now and then do a --depclean
I think it will work, marking this as solved if it does.

Last edited by kahrkunne on Sat May 11, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) put exec startkde in your users' ~/.xinitrc file. Don't reboot. That is a bad habit from windows. You should only need to reboot after a kernel update.
2) You can switch quite easily. Here are the three steps:
(a) emerge -av kdebase-meta
(b) emerge --deselect kde-meta
(c) emerge -ac

EDIT: if you do the depclean before adding the kdebase-meta you will have to recompile kde! this is non-trivial. The meta packages themselves are just lists of packages to install. There is no difference in the packages the will install except one list is shorter.

Check the output of the last command to make sure you are not going to remove anything you want, like a pdf viewer, solitaire game, etc.

3) You don't ever edit the sudoers file directly. You edit it using the visudo command. This checks you changes to make sure the file is valid. You can change the editor used by adding the line Defaults editor=/path/to/editor to the file.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
kahrkunne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the rebooting thing somewhere. Sort of amazed me too, but hey, I'm not one to argue.
I already did the depclean thing. Wish I saw your post first, as kde-meta took me about 3 to 3.5 hours. Kdebase-meta will probably take a bit less, but still a long time.
Oh well. Also, forgot about visudo. I share this pc with nobody else so I never have to create other user accounts.

Also I see that kdebase-meta is only 105 packages (as opposed to the 476 that came with kde-meta)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: