Gentoo Vserver Makefile bug from VDSO_LDFLAGS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paradigm-X
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Vserver Makefile bug from VDSO_LDFLAGS Reply with quote

When I was compiling the kernel for Gentoo VServer with code I had downloaded from "emerge vserver-sources", it failed shortly after starting the compilation procedure, repeatedly. I researched the issue insofar as I understood it, although I am not a programmer, and I found a solution that worked correctly. As I am not a programmer, I cannot say with certainty that this is a bug that would cause everyone to fail likewise because other environments and such might allow it to work differently.

The problem I encountered related to the Makefile located at "/usr/src/linux-#-vserver-#/arch/x86/vdso/Makefile, and specifically within this same file on two different lines, both beginning "VDSO_LDFLAGS". The corrections to these lines I found at this site:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10425761/kernel-compile-error-gcc-error-elf-i386-no-such-file-or-directory

Just as it states, it was necessary to replace the expression " -m elf_x86_64 " with "-m64" on one line; and then to replace "-m elf_x86" with "-m32" on the other line. However, I noticed that the second line of code was a little different in that it was originally "-m elf_i386", which I just replaced with "-m32" as shown in the correction. After having made these two corrections, I was then able to restart the "make" routine and it proceeded successfully. Again, I am not a programmer, and I do not know why or how any of these changes work as they do. Nor can I even speculate whether a different correction would be preferable.

I began to put this information on the bugzilla page from the link on the bottom of the Gentoo VServer website, but I got a security alert about the certificate from my browser when I started to go to that page. Having never been there before, I just left it alone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: