Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Two annoying problems [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stinky_Foot
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 27
Location: Piauí, Brazil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Two annoying problems [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi,

It has been two days since I installed my new Gentoo system but I still can't go further and install the desktop environment, audio server and those others finishing mustdos for a desktop installation.
The first problem that is keeping me from doing this is that I, no matter what I do, can't sucessfuly install my wireless card module. It is a Broadcom BCM4312 and I was trying to use the Broadcom propietary firmware (broadcom-sta) to get the job done, I was doing this because I've always used this very same module with fully sucess and no problem at all (I had an another Gentoo installation in this notebook), the module compiles without errors, but when I modprobe it and try to test the new interface with iwconfig I get not wireless interface, the new interface seems to have Ethernet "attributes" when I use an ifconfig, and then, when I try to scan it with iw I get a fragmentation fault.
The second case is that I have this ATI graphic card which is driving me mad as well. In this installation, I am almost certain, I followed the same steps for configuring the graphics on the kernel that I followed before, using the same firmware, marking the same opitions, etc. I got a nice framebuffer with my actual configuration, no ugly resolution at all, but the case is that when the computer keyboard is idle for some time and the screen goes black, I can't get it to come back even if I press all my keyboard keys at the same time! The system continues up and running, it doesn't freezes, and I know it because I`ve let some long complilations running with the black screen and after rebooting the system with CRTL+ALT+DEL (which should be sufficient to prove that the system still up), I checked that the compilations were finished with emerge. Futhermore, I can't start the X server, I keep receiving the: "no screens were found" message (despite I haven't installed a DE I've already installed Awesome WM and tested X with it, tough).

I have no clue how to set all this up, I need your help!
You can ask for any relevant informantion, I'll be here waiting.

Thanks for helping.
_________________
'I' means I, 'we' means we.


Last edited by Stinky_Foot on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1545

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Two annoying problems. Reply with quote

Stinky_Foot wrote:
when I try to scan it with iw I get a fragmentation fault.


Try a different version of iproute2, or consider to go for the older iwconfig. You could also try to give wp_supplicant a go.

Stinky_Foot wrote:
but the case is that when the computer keyboard is idle for some time and the screen goes black


Is this in the TTY console or in X? In the TTY console you can do `setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0`, in X you can do `xset s off`.

Stinky_Foot wrote:
I can't get it to come back even if I press all my keyboard keys at the same time!


Try ALT+SysRq+R which can unraw the keys and allow you to interact, if that doesn't work you may just want to disable blanking for now and instead lock your session.

Stinky_Foot wrote:
Futhermore, I can't start the X server, I keep receiving the: "no screens were found" message (despite I haven't installed a DE I've already installed Awesome WM and tested X with it, tough).


Did you explicitly set up a /etc/X11/xorg.conf? If so, can we see it? Can we also see /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stinky_Foot
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 27
Location: Piauí, Brazil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try a different version of iproute2, or consider to go for the older iwconfig. You could also try to give wp_supplicant a go.

I just tried attaching the interface to wpa_supplicant, I got another segmentation fault. :(

Quote:
Is this in the TTY console or in X? In the TTY console you can do `setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0`, in X you can do `xset s off`.

But doing this won't only cover the error instead of solving it? The fact that the screen goes black and won't come back when you stroke a keyboard key is an expected system behavior?

Quote:
Did you explicitly set up a /etc/X11/xorg.conf? If so, can we see it? Can we also see /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

No, I didn't. Here it goes:

Code:
[   128.234]
X.Org X Server 1.13.4
Release Date: 2013-04-17
[   128.237] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[   128.239] Build Operating System: Linux 3.7.10-gentoo-r1 x86_64 Gentoo
[   128.240] Current Operating System: Linux naboo 3.7.10-gentoo-r1 #9 SMP Fri Apr 26 03:34:00 BRT 2013 x86_64
[   128.240] Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda3 rootfstype=ext4
[   128.244] Build Date: 26 April 2013  12:13:49AM
[   128.245] 
[   128.247] Current version of pixman: 0.28.0
[   128.252]    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
   to make sure that you have the latest version.
[   128.252] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
   (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
   (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   128.262] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Apr 26 14:47:32 2013
[   128.265] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[   128.265] (==) No Layout section.  Using the first Screen section.
[   128.265] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[   128.265] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[   128.265] (**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[   128.265] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
   Using a default monitor configuration.
[   128.265] (==) Automatically adding devices
[   128.265] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[   128.265] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
[   128.265] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/misc/" does not exist.
[   128.265]    Entry deleted from font path.
[   128.265] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/" does not exist.
[   128.265]    Entry deleted from font path.
[   128.265] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF/" does not exist.
[   128.265]    Entry deleted from font path.
[   128.265] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
[   128.265]    Entry deleted from font path.
[   128.265] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/" does not exist.
[   128.265]    Entry deleted from font path.
[   128.265] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/" does not exist.
[   128.265]    Entry deleted from font path.
[   128.265] (==) FontPath set to:
   
[   128.265] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
[   128.265] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
   If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[   128.265] (II) Loader magic: 0x803c00
[   128.265] (II) Module ABI versions:
[   128.265]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[   128.265]    X.Org Video Driver: 13.1
[   128.265]    X.Org XInput driver : 18.0
[   128.265]    X.Org Server Extension : 7.0
[   128.266] (II) config/udev: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
[   128.268] (--) PCI:*(0:1:5:0) 1002:9612:1025:028d rev 0, Mem @ 0x80000000/268435456, 0x92200000/65536, 0x92100000/1048576, I/O @ 0x00007000/256
[   128.268] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
[   128.271] Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
[   128.274] Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
[   128.277] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
[   128.280] Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
[   128.283] Initializing built-in extension XTEST
[   128.286] Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
[   128.289] Initializing built-in extension SYNC
[   128.292] Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
[   128.295] Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
[   128.298] Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
[   128.301] Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
[   128.304] Initializing built-in extension RENDER
[   128.307] Initializing built-in extension RANDR
[   128.311] Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
[   128.314] Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
[   128.317] Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[   128.320] Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
[   128.324] Initializing built-in extension RECORD
[   128.327] Initializing built-in extension DPMS
[   128.330] Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
[   128.334] Initializing built-in extension XVideo
[   128.337] Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[   128.340] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[   128.344] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
[   128.347] Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
[   128.351] Initializing built-in extension DRI2
[   128.351] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[   128.351] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[   128.351] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   128.351]    compiled for 1.13.4, module version = 1.0.0
[   128.351]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 7.0
[   128.351] (==) AIGLX enabled
[   128.355] Loading extension GLX
[   128.355] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 0
[   128.355] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 1
[   128.355] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 2
[   128.355] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 3
[   128.355] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 4
[   128.355] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[   128.355] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[   128.355] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module ati
[   128.355] (II) UnloadModule: "ati"
[   128.355] (II) Unloading ati
[   128.355] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
[   128.355] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[   128.356] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
[   128.356] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[   128.356] (II) Unloading vesa
[   128.356] (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
[   128.356] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[   128.356] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module modesetting
[   128.356] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[   128.356] (II) Unloading modesetting
[   128.356] (EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (module does not exist, 0)
[   128.356] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[   128.356] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
[   128.356] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
[   128.356] (II) Unloading fbdev
[   128.356] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[   128.356] (EE) No drivers available.
[   128.363]
Fatal server error:
[   128.363] no screens found
[   128.366] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[   128.380] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[   128.383] (EE)

_________________
'I' means I, 'we' means we.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1545

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinky_Foot wrote:
I just tried attaching the interface to wpa_supplicant, I got another segmentation fault. :(


You could try to run it through gdb to obtain a stack trace to get an idea why it segmentation faults. See http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml for detail.

Just to be sure, do you have CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT enabled in the kernel?

Stinky_Foot wrote:
But doing this won't only cover the error instead of solving it? The fact that the screen goes black and won't come back when you stroke a keyboard key is an expected system behavior?


Yeah, merely a temporary solution to cover it.

Stinky_Foot wrote:
[ 128.266] (II) config/udev: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
[ 128.268] (--) PCI:*(0:1:5:0) 1002:9612:1025:028d rev 0, Mem @ 0x80000000/268435456, 0x92200000/65536, 0x92100000/1048576, I/O @ 0x00007000/256


It sees a card, that's a good thing.

Stinky_Foot wrote:
[ 128.355] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[ 128.355] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module ati
[ 128.355] (II) UnloadModule: "ati"
[ 128.355] (II) Unloading ati
[ 128.355] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 128.355] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[ 128.356] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vesa
[ 128.356] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[ 128.356] (II) Unloading vesa
[ 128.356] (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 128.356] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[ 128.356] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module modesetting
[ 128.356] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[ 128.356] (II) Unloading modesetting
[ 128.356] (EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 128.356] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[ 128.356] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev
[ 128.356] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
[ 128.356] (II) Unloading fbdev
[ 128.356] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 128.356] (EE) No drivers available.


But finds no module. Make sure you set VIDEO_CARDS right and then do `emerge @x11-module-rebuild` so it rebuilds the modules for X, also make sure you have properly emerged the driver itself (or compiled it into the kernel, depends on the nature of the driver).

If correcting that doesn't work, you could try to follow http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon and / or http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fglrx in an attempt to get this fixed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stinky_Foot
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 27
Location: Piauí, Brazil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could try to run it through gdb to obtain a stack trace to get an idea why it segmentation faults. See http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml for detail.

Just to be sure, do you have CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT enabled in the kernel?


I just came from another thread where a guy was reporting the same problem with mine, he said that the problem begun after he uprgraded his kernel from 3.4.9 to 3.7.10 (which is the one I am using now). And yes, I have CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT set to "y" on my .config. Maybe I should downgrade the kernel and see what happens.

Quote:
Make sure you set VIDEO_CARDS right and then do `emerge @x11-module-rebuild` so it rebuilds the modules for X, also make sure you have properly emerged the driver itself


Yeah, my VIDEO_CARDS is set to "radeon" as it should be expected, I also have the right firmware built on the kernel, which is "R600_rlc.bin" for my HD3200 ATI Graphics. I am going to downgrade the kernel to 3.4.34 (which is the nearest stable kernel version to 3.4.9 availabe for my arch) to try getting my wireless card working, this way I'll try checking the video problem too. I'll report back.
_________________
'I' means I, 'we' means we.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wcg
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Jan 2009
Posts: 588

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been following any of the udev threads? What you think
is your wireless interface has gone through some major changes
in the last six months. (First thing I thought of when you said
"seems to have the attributes of an ethernet interface".)
_________________
TIA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stinky_Foot
n00b
n00b


Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 27
Location: Piauí, Brazil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reporting back after downgrading my kernel to 3.4.34 as I said I would. Everything is working like a charm, I must say.
The wireless problem vanished and I am using my wireless card at this very moment to connect to the internet and access the forum. I have no more problems with my video/framebuffer too, everything went better than expected.

Quote:
Have you been following any of the udev threads?


Not really, the thread I was referring to was that of one guy complaining about kernel panics after rebuilding modules (the "wl" module, to be more specific).
_________________
'I' means I, 'we' means we.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum