View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hika
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Some Windows Garbled [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have of a sudden a weird thing happening. Some windows (WPA Supplicant, VirtualBox, but not the machines) startup black or with a garbled background in it. Other windows are OK. The garbling includes also menus from those applications, but not the windowborder..
It started when I was experimenting with Tux on Ice, where I had trouble with VBEtool. So I guess it has somehow to do with some videobios setting. Starting with another, older kernel without Tux on Ice the problem persists.

My machine is a recent Asus laptop with Intel integrated graphics. I know to little about graphics. Can anybody point me into a direction where to look? For instance, have the two programs something in common the way they handle graphics?

Hika

Last edited by hika on Mon May 13, 2013 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am not sure what your problem could be, but I'd start checking a few things.

First, /var/log/Xorg.0.log. There might be some warning or error in there that can give you some hint.

Secondly, check the output of xdpyinfo and glxinfo. Check also dmesg to make sure your graphics driver is not segfaulting or doing odd things.

Last, but not least, if you are running a WM or Desktop that's capable of doing compositing (effects) try to disable that, or better, try a simpler non-compositing WM, like fluxbox, and see if you can reproduce the error there.
hika
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the logs and looked in the dependencies for common things and found only qt4 and openssl, so reinstalled qt4.
Nothing.
I now have parked the installation on my server and have started over. I needed to do some reconfiguring on the disk anyway. If I find anything I post it here.

Maybe later I check into those other things you suggested. I hate mysteries (unless on tv or in a book) .
By the way I use gnome and it was al fresh installed.

Hika
hika
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the cause: At some time I had set qtgraphicssystem to opengl instead of raster.
And that is obviously not working

Hika
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: