GFS (Greek Font Society) fonts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgits
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: GFS (Greek Font Society) fonts Reply with quote

Hello,

I have used the GFS fonts (http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces1.html) in other distributions. I think they the best free Greek fonts existing. They come in OT and TT formats.

Since I cannot find them in portage I would like to ask

1) If they are in some overlay which I didn't find
2) Else if some good person with knowledge about fonts and gentoo would care to make an ebuild
3) Else if I should perhaps create a bug report with such a request
4) Else how would I go about creating such an ebuild. Though I have never created an ebuild in the past, perhaps there is some font-related ebuild which I could copy and modify.

I give also a link to AUR (Arch Linux) which shows a list of some of the font files https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/otf-gfs/
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: GFS (Greek Font Society) fonts Reply with quote

cgits wrote:
I have used the GFS fonts (http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces1.html) in other distributions. I think they the best free Greek fonts existing. They come in OT and TT formats.

Yes, those are nice-looking fonts. Considering that I'll be going to visit my brother's family next weekend for Pascha, it would seem to be a nice time to look at Greek fonts.
cgits wrote:
2) Else if some good person with knowledge about fonts and gentoo would care to make an ebuild

I am far from being a competent ebuild maintainer, but I have taken a stab at it from time to time. I modified the ebuild from one of the SIL fonts.

cgits wrote:
4) Else how would I go about creating such an ebuild. Though I have never created an ebuild in the past, perhaps there is some font-related ebuild which I could copy and modify.

You could try the same kind of thing I did. In any event, you'll have to do a bit of what I did or already did.

cgits wrote:
I give also a link to AUR (Arch Linux) which shows a list of some of the font files https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/otf-gfs/

I see that they picked up all of the fonts from the Greek Font Society and bundled them into one package. There is one aspect about this: they have to fetch all the source .zip files separately. I really don't know what the proper thing is to do: make a single package for all the fonts, make separate packages for each font, or take the middle way of separate packages for the related fonts: Majuscule, 16th Century, 18th Century, and so on.

I decided to go with a simple ebuild for only one of the fonts as a proof of concept and to leave it so that people can comment on it.

It'll take a while before any of this hits the Portage tree, I'll bet. It would also be a while before it will even make it to someone's overlay. This means you'll have to try it on your own.

No matter if you make your own ebuilds, use my sample one, or to use someone else's quick contribution, you'll have some setup to do. First, you need a local overlay. If you don't have one already, this is a really quickie guide:

• Figure out a directory where you want to put your local overlays. I usually use /var/lib/local-overlay/
  • Create that directory if it doesn't exist. In some scheme I don't know about, you might be able to do that as a user. So far as I know, you have to let this directory and its children be owned by root.
  • Add the following line to your /etc/make.conf or /etc/portage/make.conf (whereever it is you have it), adjusting the directory name if you used something other than /var/lib/local-overlay/. If you use layman on your system, be sure to insert this line *before* the place where you source layman's make.conf.
    Code:
    PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/var/lib/local-overlay/

Now make a directory inside your overlay directory for the fonts category. If you use my quickie ebuild for the Ambrosia font, you can make that directory too.
Code:
mkdir -p /var/lib/local-overlay/media-fonts/gfs-ambrosia

To proceed with my sample package, switch to that package directory and copy and paste these three files into that directory. (If I were a real Gentoo developer, these files would be more like correct, I'm sure.) The EAPI really is 4, and the license really is the Open Font License version 1.1

First, gfs-ambrosia-1.0.ebuild
Code:
# Copyright 1999-2013 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

EAPI="4"

inherit font

MY_PN="GFS_AMBROSIA"

DESCRIPTION="GFS Ambrosia - Greek Font Society Ambrosia font"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces1.html"
SRC_URI="mirror://gentoo/${MY_PN}.zip"

LICENSE="OFL-1.1"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="~amd64"
IUSE=""

DOCS=""
FONT_SUFFIX="otf"

DEPEND="app-arch/unzip"
RDEPEND=""

S="${WORKDIR}/${MY_PN}"
FONT_S="${S}"

Next, metadata.xml
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE pkgmetadata SYSTEM "http://www.gentoo.org/dtd/metadata.dtd">
<pkgmetadata>
  <herd>fonts</herd>
  <longdescription lang="en">
    As it is known, the Greek alphabet was used in majuscule form
    for over a millenium before the miniscule letters gradually
    replaced it until they became the official script in the 9th
    century A.D. Thereafter, majuscule letters were confined to
    sparse use as initials or elaborate titles until the Italian
    Renaissance. The new art of Typography, as well as the need of
    the humanists to mimic the ancient Greco-Roman period brought
    back the extensive use of the majuscule letterforms in both Latin
    and Greek typography. Greek books of the time were printed using
    the contemporary Byzantine hand with which they combined capital
    letters modeled on the Roman antiquity, i.e. with thick and thin
    strokes and serifs. At the same time the byzantine majuscule
    tradition, principally used on theological editions, remained
    alive until the early 19th century.
    All the majuscule fonts available here were designed by George D.
    Matthiopoulos and are samples of the various trends used in Greek
    typography.

GFS Ambrosia has the main characteristics of the majuscule forms
    of the early Christian tradition.
  </longdescription>
</pkgmetadata>

Finally, ChangeLog
Code:
# ChangeLog for media-fonts/gfs-ambrosia
# Copyright 1999-2013 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPL v2
# $Header: $

Now you have to download the GFS_AMBROSIA.zip file from the www.greekfontsociety.gr web site and place it in your /usr/portage/distfiles/ directory. Now you're ready to make a manifest for the package. Run this command in the package directory:
Code:
ebuild gfs-ambrosia-1.0.ebuild manifest

Now you're ready to emerge the package and see if you do indeed get a font called GFS Ambrosia. It worked for me.
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GFS (Greek Font Society) fonts Reply with quote

cgits wrote:
Hello,

Since I cannot find them in portage I would like to ask

1) If they are in some overlay which I didn't find
3) Else if I should perhaps create a bug report with such a request

Those fonts are a beauty!!

In regards to installing them. What prevents you from downloading those fonts and add them into ~/.fonts folder??
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: GFS (Greek Font Society) fonts Reply with quote

_______0 wrote:
In regards to installing them. What prevents you from downloading those fonts and add them into ~/.fonts folder??

Well, nothing. It's a great thing, though, to have your package manager install things and be able to track what is installed. It makes it easier to track what you have when you need to reinstall or upgrade things or to set up other hosts similar to one where you like the setup.

While I do accumulate "unpackaged" packages from time to time in my home directory (like tarballs where I download something and ./configure and make) for testing and debugging, it's not a way I like to get production packages. Fonts, desktop-environment addons, and the like don't have the same impact as executable programs, but I'd rather not have them clog up my home directory.
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea,

Copy paste any font ebuild, replace the font name with the greek one, add it to your personal overlay. This would be about the fastest way to achieve what you need.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: