Zoneinfo missing after stage3-uClibc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squelch_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Zoneinfo missing after stage3-uClibc Reply with quote

Update
On further research it was found that uClibc handles timezones and locales differently via iconv. The stage3 tarball does not contain the required zoneinfo and locales so chapter 6 will become a block to any newcomers or returnees. Please refer to http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_uClibc for a complete reference.

======================================================

Hello all,

I have installed and used Gentoo in the past, but I'm sorry to say I left it neglected on an old machine. I recently decided to try again, and have been following the handbook using the installation cd for an x86 system. Everything has gone fine until I get to

Quote:
6.d Timezone

Finally select your timezone so that your system knows where it is physically located. Look for your timezone in /usr/share/zoneinfo, then write it in the /etc/timezone file.

where I find that /usr/share/zoneinfo is missing. I have read around, and found several posts that refer to a missing zoneinfo, but they either talk about missing specific zones, or at a post installation phase. I am aware that setting my timezone is important for later compilation/installation, so progression has halted until I can get to the bottom of this problem.

I have restarted the installation and verified that .../zoneinfo exists after unpacking the stage3 tarball, but after chroot and web-rsync the whole directory is missing. I wasn't able to find a listing of zoneinfo so took a stab at
Code:
# echo "Europe/London" > /etc/timezone
# emerge --config sys-libs/timezone-data

but I'm greeted with
Quote:
No packages found

Code:
emerge sys-libs/timezone-data
fails miserably of course.

Any and all suggestions on how to retrieve the missing directory, identify the cause of its departure, or other workarounds are welcome.

Last edited by Squelch_ on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Squelch_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some further investigation I've found that I had verified the existence of /usr/share/zoneinfo which is unpopulated and resides on the LiveCD. The stage3 tarball I was downloading does not contain zoneinfo.

Code:
http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-stage3-i686-uclibc-vanilla/stage3-i686-uclibc-vanilla-20140810.tar.bz2

So basically I've been selecting the wrong package.

Trying

Code:
http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-install-x86-minimal/stage3-i686-20140812.tar.bz2

Instead

I'm not sure or experienced enough to tell if that build is supposed to contain timezone files, but I leave this account for future reference should someone else run into the same issue. All comments welcome.
john_deaux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Zoneinfo missing after stage3 and chroot Reply with quote

Squelch_ wrote:
Hello all,

I have installed and used Gentoo in the past, but I'm sorry to say I left it neglected on an old machine. I recently decided to try again, and have been following the handbook using the installation cd for an x86 system. Everything has gone fine until I get to

Quote:
6.d Timezone

Finally select your timezone so that your system knows where it is physically located. Look for your timezone in /usr/share/zoneinfo, then write it in the /etc/timezone file.

where I find that /usr/share/zoneinfo is missing. I have read around, and found several posts that refer to a missing zoneinfo, but they either talk about missing specific zones, or at a post installation phase. I am aware that setting my timezone is important for later compilation/installation, so progression has halted until I can get to the bottom of this problem.

I have restarted the installation and verified that .../zoneinfo exists after unpacking the stage3 tarball, but after chroot and web-rsync the whole directory is missing. I wasn't able to find a listing of zoneinfo so took a stab at
Code:
# echo "Europe/London" > /etc/timezone
# emerge --config sys-libs/timezone-data

but I'm greeted with
Quote:
No packages found

Code:
emerge sys-libs/timezone-data
fails miserably of course.

Any and all suggestions on how to retrieve the missing directory, identify the cause of its departure, or other workarounds are welcome.

Hi Squelch_,

The second command should be "emerge --config sys-libs/timezone-data".

Oops, never mind. You had it right

Regards,

j_d
Squelch_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, and yes I double checked.

I now see where I went wrong while following the installation handbook. I chose the uCLibc route which the handbook doesn't cover or mention. From what I can understand from This thread I should have been following the uCLibc installation guide on the wiki. Unfortunately the wiki has been down while I was installing - it still is at the time of writing - just to confound the problem.

Maybe the handbook should have a reference to the uCLibc installation process much like systemd? Anyone following the handbook for the first time, or even after coming back to Gentoo like me, may be wanting the more secure uLibc packages which is too much of a departure to progress.
Squelch_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the op so that this issue might be easier to research. It all lays with the user choosing uClibc stage3 tarball which uses iconv for locales and timezones.

As an aside, the handbook as a resource - even locally - should really contain reference to this departure from the installation process. Without timezones and locales set correctly, build problems further down the line will be met. Is uClibc considered mature enough that this information should be included in the handbook?

There is a resource on the wiki covering uClibc installation, but alas that is having, and apparently is prone to access problems.

Apologies for serial posting. I feel post edits in this case may have hampered understanding of the nature of the problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: