Grub2 not able to boot my system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Grub2 not able to boot my system Reply with quote

Hi!
So, I have this issue: my ancient bios (Intel Desktop Board D865PERL, version 19) can't read all the partitions on my external hdd (500 GB) on which I installed linux.
I installed grub2 image and modules (with modules ntfs, ext2, ls and help preloaded) in the first partition (125GB, ntfs) which should be read because it's smaller than the maximum supported of 137GB. Anyway when i boot my computer grub enters the recovery mode, and when I try to load my modules from (hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub2/i386 it throws the error "read MFT 0x fails". This happens every time I try to access any file or directory except from those in the root directory. The partition anyway can be mounted and normally used both in windows and Gentoo. The second partition (10 GB, ext4) and the third (20GB, ext4) are detected, but grub can't access them saying "unknown filesystem", even if the module ext2 is loaded. Is there a way to solve this problem in grub? Or, if there isn't, is it possible to make a small partition at the beginning of the disk in which I can store grub and the kernels, but have windows detecting the 125GB ntfs partition even if it isn't the former partition?

Last edited by dvdma on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpc22
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your bios supports it, you could install /boot on a usb key or at beginning of the disk like you suggested.

Tell me if i am correct: you want to use the first 125g ntfs partition for both your /boot for gentoo and c:/ drive for windows.
As long as one os does not mess with the files from the other , that could work, whle not pratical.
Also you would be stuck with ntfs for your boot, while you could choose from a lot more linux fs's .

The boot partition can be anywhere on the disk,as long as you adjust fstab, but is usually placed at the start, since the first sectors are supposed to be faster from being located on the outside edge of the disk.
s_bernstein
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reliable way to do this is to create a separate boot partition for grub and you linux kernel as the first primary partition. So, go get a gparted live cd and reorganize your partitions. Remember to set the boot flag to your windows partition, otherwise windows will bug out. Your new boot partition should be ext2 formatted and doesn't need to be larger than 50M - 100M (that is megabytes). Choose ext2 for boot so you don't waste space for a journal you will never need. After you repartitioned your drive, you have to reinstall grub and the mbr.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the external hard drive really hd0?

Will
dvdma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for the replies!! I have badly explained myself: the ntfs partition does not host a windows installation, i use it only for storage purpouses, and i would like to use it as a boot partition for linux only, i already use another pendrive to boot from, but it is uncomfortable to use 2 devices for a single os. then the disk denomination is not a matter, i am able to recognise the right device
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: