Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[RoP] Explosion at Boston Marathon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if any of the dead or injured were targeted specifically? If so then there's the answer.

Either that or a bunch of iPods exploded for no reason. They do that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5073
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
All ideas about who did this are speculation at this point. Nevertheless, it's not unreasonable to speculate, provided it's couched as that and you don't do something stupid like violate people's rights based on it.

The last attempt at something like this in the U.S. was a home-grown Islamic terrorist. However, the last (somewhat) successful attempt at something like this was a home-grown terrorist with an extremist social conservative ideology. Most of his targets corresponded to that ideology (abortionists, gays, etc.). My money is still on homegrown Jihadist terrorists. (I further speculate, wildly, that it was a small number of either Northeast region college students (perhaps Boston), or jobless derka-derka techno-yuppies from the same area.)

tell that to Muso, the rest of us comprehend educated guesses and likely explanations.
There is an entire ocean of difference between "this looks like the work of muzzies" and "my [RoP] tag is accurate!"
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2045
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hit people in public and they just retreat to the safety of their homes.

Hit them at home and they have nowhere to hide.

Bombing the spectators of such an event makes a lot of sense. Now they can't even enjoy a harmless sports event, without being targets.

Destroy their events, their parties, their private life and you destroy the people.

A common practice used by terrorists like wedding-bombing USA.
_________________
Study finds stunning lack of racial, gender, and economic diversity among middle-class white males

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bbe
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 158
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the lack of a claim of responsibility tend to rule out a larger "organisation"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16716

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
And I'm still laughing that my original tag of [RoP] is proving accurate.
A stopped clock is correct twice a day.
_________________
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present, Man Not Caring. -- Perry Cox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16716

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
[...] and you destroy the people.
Nah. The countries which are the source of the problem could be eliminated easily enough.
_________________
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present, Man Not Caring. -- Perry Cox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 690
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
All ideas about who did this are speculation at this point. Nevertheless, it's not unreasonable to speculate, provided it's couched as that and you don't do something stupid like violate people's rights based on it.

The last attempt at something like this in the U.S. was a home-grown Islamic terrorist. However, the last (somewhat) successful attempt at something like this was a home-grown terrorist with an extremist social conservative ideology. Most of his targets corresponded to that ideology (abortionists, gays, etc.). My money is still on homegrown Jihadist terrorists. (I further speculate, wildly, that it was a small number of either Northeast region college students (perhaps Boston), or jobless derka-derka techno-yuppies from the same area.)

tell that to Muso, the rest of us comprehend educated guesses and likely explanations.
There is an entire ocean of difference between "this looks like the work of muzzies" and "my [RoP] tag is accurate!"


Want to bet that my tag isn't accurate?
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5073
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
All ideas about who did this are speculation at this point. Nevertheless, it's not unreasonable to speculate, provided it's couched as that and you don't do something stupid like violate people's rights based on it.

The last attempt at something like this in the U.S. was a home-grown Islamic terrorist. However, the last (somewhat) successful attempt at something like this was a home-grown terrorist with an extremist social conservative ideology. Most of his targets corresponded to that ideology (abortionists, gays, etc.). My money is still on homegrown Jihadist terrorists. (I further speculate, wildly, that it was a small number of either Northeast region college students (perhaps Boston), or jobless derka-derka techno-yuppies from the same area.)

tell that to Muso, the rest of us comprehend educated guesses and likely explanations.
There is an entire ocean of difference between "this looks like the work of muzzies" and "my [RoP] tag is accurate!"


Want to bet that my tag isn't accurate?

only if you are willing to provide citation time and dated as per your original post.

ill help you out though

Bombing occured: On April 15, 2013, two bombs exploded during the Boston Marathon at approximately 2:50 p.m. EDT (18:50 UTC).
Your original post: Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:28 pm Post subject: [RoP] Explosion at Boston Marathon
News article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22171684
DATE: 16 April 2013 Last updated at 20:27
Quote:
but that the motive and culprit were not yet known.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22171684
DATE: April 16, 2013, 1:56 pm
Quote:
because the culprit and motive were not yet known;


as of right now: 21:13 BST 16th April 2013:
Quote:
No official suspects have been named, and no arrests or claims of responsibility for the attack have been announced.[3] On April 16, U.S. President Barack Obama announced that the Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating the bombings as an act of terrorism.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Boston_Marathon_bombings

Seeing a trend here



its one thing to speculate, have an educated guess about. ITS completely different to peddle that uncertainty as hard fact.
as I have said in this thread (at least twice iirc) it probably is muzzies BUT I can't be 100% sure so I am not going to be a mindless sheeple and parrot whatever the local news is trying to peddle as fact when there is none publically known. See I could take you up on your bet and put the stakes that the loser never posts on the gentoo forums again, but seeing as you are unable to see the logical err in your stance I would find it hard that you would honour the bet when you lose (and the loss is marked when a public statement confirming the culprit is made, or you providing a citable source time and dated prior to your OP)
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 148

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it was a muslim republican protesting against Obama's attempts at gun control just so I can watch Muso's head explode.

PS: there's a lot of lead in there so watch out for shrapnel.

PPS: WTF is a muzzie?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16716

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which will prompt a demand for action... the backpacks, pressure cookers, shrapnel or gun powder?

When freedom is abridged, they win.
_________________
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present, Man Not Caring. -- Perry Cox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16716

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly _could_ be downplaying his role, but until more is known, maybe he shouldn't be convicted⸮

boston.com wrote:
REVERE — The Saudi Arabian man whose apartment was searched by Boston Marathon bombing investigators is not a person of interest in the continuing search for the persons responsible for Monday’s terrorist attack.

“He has been checked out,’’ said a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation. “He is not involved. He is just a victim.’’

_________________
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present, Man Not Caring. -- Perry Cox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 1159
Location: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But 11 of 19 Saudis are 9/11 hijackers!
_________________
Your argument is invalid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16716

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed they were. If that's a reference to my earlier post, the comment is still valid.
_________________
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present, Man Not Caring. -- Perry Cox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 458
Location: /US/Georgia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
A common practice used by terrorists like wedding-bombing USA.
Hey they hit funerals too. For saving time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Which will prompt a demand for action... the backpacks, pressure cookers, shrapnel or gun powder?

When freedom is abridged, they win.


Or this " He said 85 percent of IEDs used to kill and maim Americans are homemade, and the majority of those are made with ammonium nitrate."

Pressure cookers. Nails. Nylon bags.

The title of the hearing Thursday was “Securing Ammonium Nitrate: Using Lessons Learned in Afghanistan to Protect the Homeland from IEDs.”

The Pakistani Taliban, which claimed the 2010 Times Square bomb plot, on Tuesday denied anything to do with explosions

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/04/16/homeland-security-warned-about-terrorist-use-of-pressure-cooker-bombs-in-2004/

http://swampland.time.com/2013/04/16/a-short-history-of-pressure-cooker-bombs/

Some of the residue from the cooker lid has a story to tell. Hair care or farming? Maybe it should be a poll.

Hidden in plain sight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16716

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you making a specific point? The links seem kind of random. IIRC, ammonium nitrate was used in the OK City bombing, so waiting for Afghanistan was a little late.
_________________
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present, Man Not Caring. -- Perry Cox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1605
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
But 11 of 19 Saudis are 9/11 hijackers!

Indeed they were. If that's a reference to my earlier post, the comment is still valid.

:pjp: :P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bbe
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 158
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://what-if.xkcd.com/40/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Muso wrote:

Want to bet that my tag isn't accurate?

only if you are willing to provide citation time and dated as per your original post.


the hate is strong with this one...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
But 11 of 19 Saudis are 9/11 hijackers!


what has a higher probability (needs to be defined of course) a muslim being killed by an american, or vice versa?

you can play this game quite a bit. But if you read the vitriol being lobbed at that community IN THE ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE (turn their countries into parking lots!) I imagine that the real news provides ample material for the ministry of truth in iran.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1605
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
But 11 of 19 Saudis are 9/11 hijackers!


what has a higher probability (needs to be defined of course) a muslim being killed by an american, or vice versa?

you can play this game quite a bit. But if you read the vitriol being lobbed at that community IN THE ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE (turn their countries into parking lots!) I imagine that the real news provides ample material for the ministry of truth in iran.

I think you missed the joke.
the kneejerk is strong with this one...

As to vitriol being lobbed, the reaction from the left and mainstream media after the Giffords shooting was worse than this: far more viotriolic, far more prejudiced, and far more prejudicial.

This time around, they're bending over backwards not to jump to conclusions, because they're hoping it was a three-toothed redneck and are hoping to keep Chocolate Jesus from looking like he's not doing his job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5073
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
All ideas about who did this are speculation at this point. Nevertheless, it's not unreasonable to speculate, provided it's couched as that and you don't do something stupid like violate people's rights based on it.

The last attempt at something like this in the U.S. was a home-grown Islamic terrorist. However, the last (somewhat) successful attempt at something like this was a home-grown terrorist with an extremist social conservative ideology. Most of his targets corresponded to that ideology (abortionists, gays, etc.). My money is still on homegrown Jihadist terrorists. (I further speculate, wildly, that it was a small number of either Northeast region college students (perhaps Boston), or jobless derka-derka techno-yuppies from the same area.)

tell that to Muso, the rest of us comprehend educated guesses and likely explanations.
There is an entire ocean of difference between "this looks like the work of muzzies" and "my [RoP] tag is accurate!"


Want to bet that my tag isn't accurate?


Actually thinking about it I will take you up on the bet
You made a supposition in the OP title ( [RoP] Explosion at Boston Marathon ). Thats fine, nothing wrong with that, its a valid supposition
You then escalated this from supposition to affirming "fact" Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 am
Muso wrote:
So my [RoP] tag was accurate.

Shock, fucking, horror.

So you must have some citation for this claim.

So as to your call, ill take that bet. As per Hitchens' razor YOU are the one that has to back this claim AND this claim was made at Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 am so your citation must be date&timed no later than this otherwise your claim is a gross misrepresentation of reality

The stakes? If you can back up your claim I will never post on the Gentoo forums again, if I win you never post on the Gentoo forums again.
You made the claim, you called for a bet, I'm calling you out. Put up or Shut the fuck up
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
But 11 of 19 Saudis are 9/11 hijackers!


what has a higher probability (needs to be defined of course) a muslim being killed by an american, or vice versa?

you can play this game quite a bit. But if you read the vitriol being lobbed at that community IN THE ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE (turn their countries into parking lots!) I imagine that the real news provides ample material for the ministry of truth in iran.

I think you missed the joke.
the kneejerk is strong with this one...


I was agreeing with him. I got the joke. Sorry it didn't come across clearly.

Quote:

As to vitriol being lobbed, the reaction from the left and mainstream media after the Giffords shooting was worse than this: far more viotriolic, far more prejudiced, and far more prejudicial.


It wasn't good with Giffords, and it isn't good now. I haven't said anything to contradict that.

here's what happens when you have a witch hunt and cooler heads don't prevail.


Last edited by juniper on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1605
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nothing. After the Centennial Park bombing, they did the same thing to the hero (the guy who actually spotted the bomb and got everybody cleared away before it went off, probably saving dozens of people), and then the media reported him as a "suspect", totally ruining his life.

Also: The Witchfinder General.

Seriously, though, the reaction seems quite "meh" this time. Pussified Westerners are finally starting to understand this sort of thing can happen any time to anyone anywhere, and are coming to terms with that reality instead of wetting their pants.

The reaction on the scene was remarkable. Many runners just kept right on going toward the finish line. There wasn't a major panic or stampede; people just sensibly moved away from the site. Lots of people immediately moved in and helped the injured. There were remarkably few deaths because it was well-handled.

I'm not sure what media you're watching where people are talking about violent responses (e.g., bombing countries, etc.); I haven't heard anything like that. If there were London-style mobs of stick-and-bottle-wielding hooligans roaming the streets looking for Middle Eastern people to beat up, then maybe you'd have something real to complain about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above, I meant to say "It wasn't good with Giffords, and it isn't good now" instead of "it was good with Gifford, and it isn't good now".

my bad. Fixed though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum