Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[RoP] Explosion at Boston Marathon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm actually surprised... why pick such a low level target? a viewing stand at a marathon? my money is on a crazy person.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5433
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, tea bagging means something different overhere...
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first reaction was "Al Qaeda!" but I took that back after I noticed the scale. Attacks from them usually kill a lot more, do they not? However, only half of the known bombs were detonated. Cell service was cut after the blast preventing further blasts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
i'm actually surprised... why pick such a low level target? a viewing stand at a marathon? my money is on a crazy person.

I don't think crazy people generally orchestrate four different bombs. This was thought-out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
pjp wrote:
Early on, it was not obviously related to RoP.


It was to me. Multiple explosions targeting random civilians. That's RoP 101.

Coexist

Not saying that you are wrong, but thinking that if you were a fish, someone would have a dinner ;-)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17345

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
i'm actually surprised... why pick such a low level target? a viewing stand at a marathon? my money is on a crazy person.
Terrorism doesn't have to have a huge immediate impact. Due to this incident, how much money will we burn? How much liberty will be taken?
_________________
The whole system has to go. The modern criminal justice system is incompatible with Neuroscience. --Sapolsky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sad day. My condolences to the survivors, their families and the families of the dead.

It is an evil heart or deranged person that kills and maims.

Symbolism.
World's oldest annual marathon - 2013 was the 117th event
Second biggest single-day sporting event in the US behind the Super Bowl, in terms of media coverage


To have gone to the Boston Marathon to be killed or maimed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
see, tea bagging means something different overhere...

Balls in their court maybe. I can imagine some of those uptight fuckers enjoying the feel of testicles on their god bothering domes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 690
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my [RoP] tag was accurate.

Shock, fucking, horror.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5433
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
So my [RoP] tag was accurate.

Shock, fucking, horror.
citation? so far nothing is actually certain except your preconceptions WHICH might be correct are not provable
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Like when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Lame Stream press immediately started speculating if it was a Tea Party member or a *gasp* Rush Limbaugh listener.


Hence waiting for evidence is a good idea, no?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
i'm actually surprised... why pick such a low level target? a viewing stand at a marathon? my money is on a crazy person.


Makes some sense. You want to spread terror? Hitting mundane targets might do a good job. People are already on edge when they get on planes, why not keep them scared when they are in their city?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 690
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:
Like when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Lame Stream press immediately started speculating if it was a Tea Party member or a *gasp* Rush Limbaugh listener.


Hence waiting for evidence is a good idea, no?


Which they based upon a total lie. American libertarian conservatives are not the frothing at the mouth lunatics that do that shit. Gifford's assailant was a lefty. Obama's guru, Bill Ayers, is a lefty.


And I'm still laughing that my original tag of [RoP] is proving accurate.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:
Like when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Lame Stream press immediately started speculating if it was a Tea Party member or a *gasp* Rush Limbaugh listener.


Hence waiting for evidence is a good idea, no?


Which they based upon a total lie. American libertarian conservatives are not the frothing at the mouth lunatics that do that shit. Gifford's assailant was a lefty. Obama's guru, Bill Ayers, is a lefty.


And I'm still laughing that my original tag of [RoP] is proving accurate.


yeah. hilarious :roll:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5433
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:
Like when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Lame Stream press immediately started speculating if it was a Tea Party member or a *gasp* Rush Limbaugh listener.


Hence waiting for evidence is a good idea, no?


Which they based upon a total lie. American libertarian conservatives are not the frothing at the mouth lunatics that do that shit. Gifford's assailant was a lefty. Obama's guru, Bill Ayers, is a lefty.


And I'm still laughing that my original tag of [RoP] is proving accurate.


yeah. hilarious :roll:
yes terrorist attacks and deaths of innocences is always a laughing point. All that is known is it is race related
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 690
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:
Like when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Lame Stream press immediately started speculating if it was a Tea Party member or a *gasp* Rush Limbaugh listener.


Hence waiting for evidence is a good idea, no?


Which they based upon a total lie. American libertarian conservatives are not the frothing at the mouth lunatics that do that shit. Gifford's assailant was a lefty. Obama's guru, Bill Ayers, is a lefty.


And I'm still laughing that my original tag of [RoP] is proving accurate.


yeah. hilarious :roll:


Your denial of the reality of the problem is what's laughable. "Diversity" and "Political Correctness" lead to blindness and death... and even when confronted with the slaughter of innocents, you still ignore the problem.

Hint : Islam is a totally fuct ideology.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Hint : Islam is a totally fuct ideology.

Among other fuct ideologies, consumerism for example. Communism. Fascism. Zionism. Nationalism. Racism. Capitalism. In fact, every ideology. That is exactly the problem. People have this belief that by inventing a new way of interpreting the universe, they can somehow overcome it's mechanism. Like making GMO food, or using antibiotics for everything.

Antibiotic-resistent bacteria would disagree.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5433
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:
Like when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Lame Stream press immediately started speculating if it was a Tea Party member or a *gasp* Rush Limbaugh listener.


Hence waiting for evidence is a good idea, no?


Which they based upon a total lie. American libertarian conservatives are not the frothing at the mouth lunatics that do that shit. Gifford's assailant was a lefty. Obama's guru, Bill Ayers, is a lefty.


And I'm still laughing that my original tag of [RoP] is proving accurate.


yeah. hilarious :roll:


Your denial of the reality of the problem is what's laughable. "Diversity" and "Political Correctness" lead to blindness and death... and even when confronted with the slaughter of innocents, you still ignore the problem.

Hint : Islam is a totally fuct ideology.
And still you are insisting that you are correct without proof (note while in active investigation they are not going to let alot of info out)
You are speculating that [RoP] is accurate but you have nothing to back that statement. It probably is but you cannot push personal opinion as fact. The Generic argument and composition/division argument is flawed, however much experience you can pull on to justify it, it isn't fact-base or provable.
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
And still you are insisting that you are correct.
You are speculating that [RoP] is accurate but you have nothing to back that statement. It probably is but you cannot push personal opinion as fact. The Generic argument and composition/division argument is flawed, however much experience you can pull on to justify it, it isn't fact-base or provable.


Burning witches is like Skyrim.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i'm actually surprised... why pick such a low level target? a viewing stand at a marathon? my money is on a crazy person.

maybe because in this business the "real weapon" is the media that spreads the information. So nearly every target fits, and moreover the marathon is focused by a lot of people...
_________________
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5433
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Quote:
i'm actually surprised... why pick such a low level target? a viewing stand at a marathon? my money is on a crazy person.

maybe because in this business the "real weapon" is the media that spreads the information. So nearly every target fits, and moreover the marathon is focused by a lot of people...
not only that but planning for a low-level target would be alot simpler. One man could do it

One man working alone is all but impossible to catch since there is no communications trail for intelligence services or investigators to work with or be alerted to
Look at the unabomber
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:
Like when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Lame Stream press immediately started speculating if it was a Tea Party member or a *gasp* Rush Limbaugh listener.


Hence waiting for evidence is a good idea, no?

Don't tell me.

Write a letter to a MSNBC producer. :wink:
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell

It just keeps getting better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:

Your denial of the reality of the problem is what's laughable. "Diversity" and "Political Correctness" lead to blindness and death... and even when confronted with the slaughter of innocents, you still ignore the problem.

Hint : Islam is a totally fuct ideology.


The current reality is that they don't know. So what am I denying precisely? oh, right. your unfounded conclusions.

I never knew that it was political correctness to wait for evidence before accusing people. Even if you a right, it isn't good to jump to conclusions. This happened with the Norway incident as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:
Like when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Lame Stream press immediately started speculating if it was a Tea Party member or a *gasp* Rush Limbaugh listener.


Hence waiting for evidence is a good idea, no?

Don't tell me.

Write a letter to a MSNBC producer. :wink:


don't forget Muso.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1605
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All ideas about who did this are speculation at this point. Nevertheless, it's not unreasonable to speculate, provided it's couched as that and you don't do something stupid like violate people's rights based on it.

The last attempt at something like this in the U.S. was a home-grown Islamic terrorist. However, the last (somewhat) successful attempt at something like this was a home-grown terrorist with an extremist social conservative ideology. Most of his targets corresponded to that ideology (abortionists, gays, etc.). My money is still on homegrown Jihadist terrorists. (I further speculate, wildly, that it was a small number of either Northeast region college students (perhaps Boston), or jobless derka-derka techno-yuppies from the same area.)
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum